Learning to cook can be a pretty intimidating experience for some. In fact, it may turn you off from trying or continuing to try. This list of apps goes through the basics of cooking and helps you to go from a beginner to an experienced person in the kitchen. You’ll be able to spice up your menu, learn all kinds of new dishes and techniques, and start impressing your friends and family with your newfound skills.
The best iPhone and iPad apps for learning how to cook
15 Dec 2016, by Christine Pamintuan
If you want to learn to cook and think like a pro in the kitchen then you'll want to check out the Jamie's Recipes app. This one is filled with incredible recipes from Jamie Oliver and is updated with new recipes on a weekly basis. It's not just the recipes, you can also learn skills, tricks, and flip through the how-to guides. With the help of this app it won’t be long before you start seeing some serious improvements in the kitchen. Each of the recipes features step-by-step instructions so that they are easy to follow, meaning any level of home cook can follow along with ease.
- Get all the best recipes from Jamie Oliver
- The app is updated on a regular basis with new recipes
- All the recipes are easy to follow and offer step-by-step instructions
- Any level of home cook can learn from this app
Whether it’s for fun, work or anything in-between, if you are looking to improve your cooking skills and cook like a professional chef then check out this great app. Learn pro cooking techniques, food prep methods and more. There are over 200 free video lessons to watch and learn. Then practice these cooking methods to improve your own skills. Over 60 hours of video, detailed ingredient lists and more content. A WiFi connection is the most ideal way to use this app due to streaming video content.
- Learn how to cook like pro chefs
- Over 200 free video lessons, Easy to follow
- Over 60 hours of video, Enjoyable to watch
- Detailed ingredient lists
- WiFi connection is ideal due to video content
If you are already a chef, and looking to connect with other chefs, then this is a great app for you. ChefsTalk is a community for chefs, gourmet professionals and food lovers to come together and talk about all things food or cooking related. Interact with others, share your tips or secrets, inspire others and more. Communicate directly with others, view amazing photos from prepared dishes, customizable search engine, see video content and more.
- A great community of chefs from around the world
- Inspire others, Interact with others directly through app
- Share tips and secrets, Show off dishes
- Customizable search engine
- Video content
Kitchen Dial is a free iPhone app that doubles up as a handy kitchen tool. It makes measurement conversions easy to do via its wonderful graphics and interface. The free version of this app does have some limitations. However, for a small in-app purchase, you can gain other features that really make this app even more impressive like ingredient weights, number input, Celsius to Farenheit, toggles for different measurements and to remove adds. Cut down on the number of tools you have in your kitchen by downloading this reliable and handy app today.
- A reliable, handy kitchen tool
- Stunning graphics, Simple to use, Cool interface
- Make measurement conversions easily
- Use a gyroscope to make touch free selections
- In-app purchases for more features and tools
Sure you can pick up a generic cookbook in the bookstore or you can download the Kitchen Stories app and get so much more than recipes. This app is a photo and video cookbook that will transform the way you approach your recipes. Each of the recipes in here features step-by-step instructions along with photos. There are also how-to videos and recipe videos that will take you through all the basics. Each week there are new recipes and this app can even be used on your Apple Watch for the ultimate convenience. Some of the categories include 20 minute dishes, pasta variations, all-time classics, gluten-free, and vegan options.
- The app is user-friendly
- This one offers recipe videos, how-to videos, and text instructions
- You are given the step-by-step instructions along with photos
- The app supports the Apple Watch
- There are new recipes added weekly
While cooking can seem like a really simple task for some, and even relaxing for others, some people find the whole process to be confusing and intimidating. The Cooking app aims to take all the confusion out of the kitchen and put the control in your hands. What's different about this app is that it isn't filled with recipes like you may be expecting. Instead this is described as a "knowledge book" where you are taught about the ingredients, how they react with each other, what flavors work well with each other, and how to figure out the proper measurements. This app really is about training you to become a cook who is able to develop and create all on your own.
- This is not your typical cooking app
- You won’t find recipes here
- The app trains you how to think and create just like a professional cook
Never be scared off by a recipe, dish, or ingredient again thanks to the How to Cook Everything app. This app features more than 2,000 mouth-watering recipes and more than 400 illustrations that take you through all the steps. You will learn about the ingredients you need, the equipment, the techniques, and more. Use the app in portrait and landscape mode and find what you want quickly with the search tool. Additional features include timers to make sure you're staying on track, you can convert measurements and temperatures, you can bookmark recipes, print recipes, and even email recipes.
- There are more than 2,000 mouth-watering recipes
- There are 400 illustrations
- Learn about the techniques, equipment, and ingredients
- You can print and share recipes
- Bookmark recipes
- There are built-in timers
- Convert measurements and temperatures with ease
How to Cook Everything app review: from the best-selling cookbook
If you are trying to make an effort to eat healthier then finding recipes is imperative in your quest. The Healthy Recipes - By SparkRecipes app offers more than 500,000 recipes which means you'll have plenty to choose from. In fact this one claims to offer the world's largest selection of healthy recipes. The search tool is what will help you get through the recipes and find what it is that appeals to you. The app provides you with the nutritional information for each recipe so you know if it's the wise choice for you. There are video demos, cooking tips, you can share recipes, and you can save recipes for future reference.
- Access more than 500,000 healthy recipes
- Use the search tool to find what you want
- There are also cooking tips, video demos, and you can save and share recipes
Healthy Recipes app review
Instead of cluttering your kitchen with heavy and cumbersome recipe books the BigOven 350,000+ Recipes and Grocery List app can provide you with an incredible source of options without taking up any space in the kitchen. This one is able to provide you with tasty and easy-to-follow recipes, full menus, and you can make your grocery list within the app. It should come as no surprise that this one has more than 11 million downloads and counting. To help you pick that perfect recipe check out the ratings and reviews that others' have given them, store your recipes in your own My Recipes section, and if you want to use your leftovers just type in what you've got and the app will deliver options for you to try.
- There are more than 350,000 recipes
- Create a grocery list in the app
- There is a menu planner
- Save recipes for easy reference
- Type in what leftovers you have on-hand and get recipe ideas
If you're looking for a place to start to learn the basics of cooking then look no further than the Cooking Basics app. This one is filled with information, tips, and of course recipes with step-by-step instructions. There are 185 recipes in total and between those there are 1,000 photos which means you'll have visuals to guide you all along the way. There are video tips and audio tips and you can actually turn on the audio commentary if you want. Additional features include the ability to make your own recipe, add notes to recipes, add photos, use the timers, there are bookmarks, mark a recipe as a favorite, and you can prevent your device from dimming while you're reading a recipe.
- There are 185 recipes with easy-to-follow instructions
- There are 1,000 photos
- The app offers timers, bookmarks, and you can mark them as favorites