Are you trying to learn French? Maybe you already speak the language but are looking for a way to brush up on your skills. Here’s a list of apps that can help you learn the language, help you if you plan to travel to a country where the inhabitants speak French, or just give you a way to increase your knowledge of the language. These can be used by adults and kids and offer a variety of learning techniques and tools so that there is something for everyone here.
The best iPad apps for French
31 Jul 2016, by Cherry Mae Torrevillas
In 24 Hours Learn to Speak French will have you saying French words in 24 short hours. This is the perfect foreign language app for anyone wanting to learn the world’s most beautiful language. If you are a student, or a traveller, doing business, or just expanding your horizons, In 24 Hours Learn to Speak French is the app for you. The app is the perfect French lesson to bring on the go because of its handy audio feature. Select a lesson, plug in your headphones and go, or add to the learning by viewing text as you listen.
- Foreign language app
- Learn French on the go
- Audio of lessons
- Learn new words after the first 24 hours
- View text as you listen
When learning French on your mobile, busuu is used by over 50 million folks around the globe. Apple featured this fantastic app as one of the “Best Apps” in 2014, and it has been praised by numerous other media for both ease of use and effectiveness. Users set a goal and learn French by listening to audio of native speakers. Features include 3000 frequent words and 150 important topics. The app includes quizzes which are a fun way to test your knowledge, and users can choose from various subscription options depending upon the length of time they need the app.
- Award winning app
- Audio of native speakers
- Frequent words
- Important phrases
Learn&Play Languages combines the power of three proven methods into one brilliantly effective language learning app. This app combines research with fun for the best foreign language learning experience. Featuring subconscious language acquisition performance (SLAP) and using beautiful real-life photos, users will learn, play, and reinforce, in order to get their new knowledge to stick! The app provides a handy progress tracker so you can see how far you’ve come on any given topic. Games include random, timing and quiz versions, and users can even search for keywords, so the app can be used as a pocket translator.
- Three proven methods
- Subconscious language acquisition
- Real-life photos
- Progress tracker
- Keyword search
Learn French is the ideal way to get started mastering conversational French. This handy little app focuses on commonly used words and phrases for travellers and beginners. The app boasts genuine pronunciation, and users can record and compare their pronunciation. Users will learn important travel words as well as basic French for dates, time, animals, numbers, and more. The app doesn’t require an Internet connection so you can learn anywhere you can bring your trusty iPad. The app can be searched by keyword so take it with you on your travels, and use it as a reference tool!
- Genuine pronunciation
- Record and compare
- Learn travel words, basics, and more
- No Internet connection required
- Search by keyword
There's no easier way to tackle a new language than with the Duolingo - Learn Languages for Free app. This app gives users the ability to learn all kinds of languages including French. The app takes a user-friendly and non-intimidating approach so that you don't feel discouraged or overwhelmed. This approach combines fun with learning so that you actually want to continue with the experience and you will be able to compete against your friends and even level up. This app also provides a free way to learn as you can access all the lessons without ever having to pay for them.
- Learn how to speak French in an environment that is fun and educational at the same time
- The app is non-intimidating and simple to follow
- All the lessons are free with no hidden charges
- You will be able to compete against your friends and level-up
Duolingo app review
Learning French doesn't have to be dull and overwhelming; instead, it can be a fun experience through the use of games. The Learn French by MindSnacks app gives users the ability to work through 50 different lessons, which works out to more than 40 hours’ worth of learning. With that amount of content there’s a good chance you’ll have a very firm grip on the language before long. This app has been created for all users: kids, adults, travelers, and students. The app makes it possible to speak, write, and read in French. It features nine different games that are ideal for picking up conversational and vocabulary skills. There are more than 1,000 different French phrases and words included in the app and there are also audio clips from a Native speaker.
- The app can be used by students, kids, adults, and travelers
- There are more than 1,000 different French phrases and words to learn
- There is over 40 hours’ worth of lessons to pour through
- The app offers nine different games that focus on conversational and vocabulary skills
The Learn Languages: Rosetta Stone app introduces users to a wide variety of languages including French so that you can expand your knowledge any time you want. The app has been designed so that it feels as though you have your own personal tutor walking you through the lessons, phrases, grammar, and vocabulary. Some of the content it covers is travel, shopping, language basics, past and future, greetings and introductions, dining, and vacation. The goal is that by the time you’re done with the app you’ll be able to converse in French with ease, which can be especially handy if you plan on traveling. The app is able to automatically sync across all your devices, giving you the ability to learn on the go.
- Learn French with ease so that you can converse freely in the language
- The app covers all kinds of basic topics
- The app is meant to feel like your own personal tutor
Rosetta Course app review: take your Rosetta Stone courses with you
It's time to tackle that language you've always been wanting to learn but have found excuses not to. The Memrise. Learn Faster. 500+ languages app provides you with a variety of tools so you can start to learn French and finally reach that goal you've set for yourself. The app acts as your own tutor that is able to self-adjust so that it matches your learning level. There are plenty of courses to work through and there are also exams to ensure you've fully grasped the content. The app uses a variety of memorization techniques that have been shown to be effective.
- Master French in a simplified way
- The app uses a variety of memorization techniques that have been shown to be effective
- Choose from a selection of courses
- There are exams you can take within the app to be sure you have grasped the concept
- The app will automatically adjust to your skill level so you never feel overwhelmed
Memrise app review: your personal language tutoring app with advanced features
While there are plenty of language learning-based app that can walk you through different languages the OpenLanguage app manages to feel unique and stand-out. Where this one differs is that you will be learn from real conversations and dialogues so what you learn actually ends up being useful. You'll listen to a teacher give a lesson and then you can practice what you learned. There are interactive review activities that peel away the layers of the lesson so you get more out of it. You can also save your target-language terms in your own customized vocabulary deck so you can keep reviewing it.
- Learn to speak a variety of languages through real conversation so you can use the information
- The lessons are set up to feel like an actual classroom lesson
- You can use the interactive review activities to grasp the lesson
- You can save your own target-language terms and put together a customized vocabulary deck
If you're looking for a no-fuss way to start learning and perfecting your French language skills then the Learn French app could be the one for you. Through this app you'll be able to learn and then master the basics of French, enjoy audio dialogues, grammar lessons, vocabulary lessons, and interactive tests. To help keep you motivated and on track you can set personal goals in the app. The app covers 150 different topics, there are practice exercises, quizzes, and you can customize how the app works for you. The user interface is dynamic and engaging which adds to the learning experience in a big way.
- The app covers 150 different topics
- Learn the basics of French and proper grammar
- Make use of the audio dialogues
- There are interactive tests, quizzes, and practice exercises
- Set your own personal goals to keep you motivated and on track
- Customize the app
- The user interface is dynamic and engaging
busuu: Learn Languages for Free app review: learn eleven languages for free and befriend native speakers
Here's your opportunity to learn French quickly and then have all the tools available to you whenever you need them. The SpeakEasy French app features 800 phonetically written and spoken expressions and words for you to master. The content is delivered in the form of audio clips from a native French speaker and flashcards. What's great is that the content is available to you offline making this option perfect when you are traveling. You can set up a list of favorites, you can control the speed of the audio pronunciation playback, hide the phonetics if you prefer, and you can copy any translation to your clipboard and then paste it where you like.
- The app covers all the basics and advanced areas of conversation
- There are spoken words from a native French speaker
- Control the speed of the audio playback
- Set up a list of favorites
- View content in the form of flashcards
- Copy and paste translations
- The content is available offline
SpeakEasy French app review