There’s no such thing as getting lost anymore, thanks to this next list of apps that can help you not just get to your desired location, but even point out places along the way that you may want to visit. These apps are perfect to use around town as well as when you’re traveling to make sure you aren’t wasting time with the wrong routes. It’s all about finding the combination of tools that best suits your needs.
The best iPad apps for maps
21 Apr 2017, by Cherry Mae Torrevillas
It can be frustrating trying to find your way home when you’re out of cellular range. You Need A Map eliminates that problem by making all of your maps available offline – it doesn’t matter where you are. Even landmark buildings and waypoint locations are featured. When you are in range of your network you can turn things up a notch with beautiful satellite overlays with all of the latest information and amazing realism. GPS navigation is also available from within the map and you can customize it as well to save your favorite locations and remember where you’ve been.
- Find your way without cellular service
- All map features – including landmark buildings available offline
- Satellite overlays available for extra detail when in range
- GPS tracking enabled
- Customize your map
CityMaps2Go is one of the most complete mapping applications you’ll find in the app store. With this app you can plan all of your trips ahead of time and save your itinerary so that it’s readily available when you need it. If you want to share your travel plans with friends and family you can do that as well. Don’t worry about losing service or roaming charges if you’re using the map in a foreign land – you have full access to all of the apps main features online or offline. It works in more than 150 different countries and you’ll love the rich detail. This map has everything – even the local bike paths!
- Plan all of your trips ahead of time
- Share your travel plans with friends and family
- Use it anywhere – even when you’re offline
- Works in 150 countries worldwide
- Maps include every minute detail
Now there’s an open source alternative to the popular mapping programs and it’s called Maps.Me. This innovative app includes maps that are always available even when you’re offline and it’s 100% free. When you’re tapping into your network you have full access to navigation tools for walking, biking, or driving. They really haven’t left anything out so if you can visit it you can bet it’s on this map. You’ll find all of your favorite points of interest and directions to get there. The impressive thing about all of these tools is that they’ve managed to fit them all into an app that’s only 127 MB.
- All maps are available offline and available worldwide
- 100% free mapps app for the iPad
- Full navigation available whether you’re walking or driving
- Detailed directions to all of your favorite points of interest
- Open source map is updated by the second
There’s one name that most of us think of when we need to search for anything and they also happen to be the industry leader in the map category as well. The company I’m referring to is Google of course and their Google Maps application is quite simply in another league from most other mapping applications. This program has reliable real-time updates and that makes accurate route planning a breeze. If traffic conditions are less than ideal the app will suggest alternative routes and will even reroute you automatically when necessary. All maps are also available offline when you’re out of range of the closest cell tower.
- Real-time updates
- Traffic conditions and alternate routes
- Automatic rerouting based on current conditions
- Discover local attractions and businesses
- Offline maps available
Galileo was a famous astronomer that helped us gain a greater understanding of how to navigate around the stars and the Galileo Offline Maps application that bears his name can do the same for your earthbound navigations. This app allows you to access maps of any country at any time. It’s one of the most detailed mapping applications around because it takes advantage of open source tools that add in every little detail available. The app is always up-to-date as the developers ensure that it’s updated monthly. Multiple language support is available and all data is available offline.
- Access to maps of any country any time
- Enhanced details because it uses open source tools
- Updated every month
- Multiple languages available
- Full access offline
Google Earth is not your typical mapping application. This app is a truly immersive experience that lets you experience the world like never before. You can take a virtual tour around the world and visit places you’ve always dreamed of, or return to some of the best memories of your childhood. You can even access your own simulated tour guide to take you on an amazing journey. Some of the biggest cities such as New York, Paris, and London can be experienced in actual 3D. In typical Google fashion you can also take advantage of the strengths of their other apps from within Google Earth such as Street View if you want to get up close and personal.
- Take a virtual tour around the world
- Revisit your favorite childhood places
- Access your own simulated tour guide
- Amazing 3D images of your favorite destinations
- Get up close and personal with Street View access
In our social media crazed world it makes sense that there’d also be a mapping app that tapped into this love affair and that’s exactly what Wemap brings to the table. This is a mapping app that will help you navigate your way around the world and share your experiences with friends along the way. You can connect to your favorite social media apps and share places you’ve visited any time. You can also use pins to mark your map and make your favorite places stand out for those friends. If you want to leave tips and comments for them you can do that as well. When you need to search for a place you’ve visited before you can use the apps built-in browsing functionality.
- Smart maps with amazing detail
- Connect your maps with your social media applications
- Use pins to mark your map
- Leave tips in a shared map for friends
- Organized browsing of save map events
Topo Maps US is a unique topographical map app that offers something a little different from the standard fair. With this app you have two major map sources to choose from and both offer full topographical detail. Maps may be flat, but the real world isn’t and with this app you can actually see what type of terrain you’re dealing with. If you need to you can also download your maps to view them offline later. Use the map to track your current location and determine your elevation. You can also add flags to mark where you’ve been and share your personal trails with your friends so they can check out your recommendations for themselves.
- Two major map sources to choose from
- Download maps to view offline later
- Track location and elevation
- Add flags to mark your current location
- Record and share your own personal trails
The Geo Flyer 3D Mapping application is one of the most fun mapping application you’ll find in the App Store. You can view your favorite points of interest in actual 3D and you can tap on famous landmarks to learn a bit about their history using Wikipedia. The developers of this app realize you won’t always have online access so they’ve also included an offline mode for convenience and ease of use. You can also use this application as a GPS tracker and you can sync your activities across multiple devices. It’s a fun and versatile app that’s definitely worth the download.
- View points of interest in 3D
- Find and learn about landmarks on Wikipedia
- Easily switch between online and offline modes
- Access GPS tracking
- Sync between multiple devices
Who says a mapping application has to be all business? Drop a Pin – Map & GPS is designed to be a fun way to find a location, coordinates, or an elevation. You quite literally just drop a pin on a map and the app will pinpoint the exact address and show you where you are or where you want to be. You can add as many locations as you like and delete ones you no longer have any interest in. When you find a place that really catches your eye the app allows you to quickly and easily share your find with friends and family.
- Drop a pin and find an address
- Find geo location coordinates easily
- View your current elevation
- Add as many locations as you like
- Share the coordinates and address with friends