If you’re looking for a game that tests your wits and planning ability then a tactical-style game may just be what you’re looking for. These are the type of games that take plenty of practice as you start to build your knowledge and figure out the best way to go about the game. This list contains games that are incredibly quick and simple to ones that are immersive and ultra-challenging.
The best iPad apps for tactical games
21 Jun 2017, by Cherry Mae Torrevillas
Lead armies as you try to win some of the biggest battles of European medieval history. In the free version, you will get 3 missions for the England campaign, a full Viking campaign, Hotseat mode and 2 historical game scenarios. In the premium version you will also get complete campaigns for England, Vikings, France and Crusaders with 25 total missions. There’s also customizable game settings, new campaigns in the future, Skirmish mode maps, several Hotseat multiplayer mode maps and more. Take on strangers or your friends in this cool game.
- Win the biggest European medieval battles
- Free version has several features
- Full version has more battles and missions
- 11 unique game scenarios, New content in the future
- 4 full campaigns with 25 total missions
Here’s one of our favorite board games brought to life on the iOS. The name of the game is to conquer the world by taking over one country at a time. You can play against 6 players at a time, including the computer. There are 4 difficulty settings, classic game rules, add friends or send challenges, tutorials, maps and cool graphics, multiple game modes, climb up the leaderboards, earn achievements and more. The game is free to play in a limited capacity. However, the full and unlimited version requires an in-app purchase.
- The classic game of global conquest
- 4 difficulty settings, Multiple game modes
- Classic game rules, Cool maps and graphics
- Play against friends, strangers or computer
- Free and limited version, In-app purchase for full version
If you love World War II history then you will truly enjoy this tactical, strategy game that uses WW II battles and figures as the backdrop to a fun game. There are over 60 campaigns in four WW II battlefields. The game also features different modes, over 100 generals, 128 military units available, 37 different countries, 36 tactical instructions, Game Center and Wi-Fi link battle, 16 military ranks, over 300 real terrains, zoom in and out on the map, auto save and much more. There are numerous in-app purchases to expedite gameplay.
- A World War II backdrop for a fun game
- Over 60 campaigns, Over 300 real terrains
- 102 generals, 128 military units, 37 countries
- Game Center, Instructions, Awesome graphics
- In-app purchases for medals and General slots
For many people some of the most addictive and challenging games are the card-style games and the Heavenstrike Rivals app aims to please. In this tactical card game you will be playing against others online as you work to collect and then train the more than 200 animated Manga monsters and heroes. You are working to not just fight your opponent but do so well that you can make it to the top of the Leaderboard. You'll be engaging in real-time live battles, which makes it all the more thrilling and exciting. It's not just the fighting, though: there is also a pretty involved background story that you'll start to learn about.
- Engage in real-time live battles
- Collect and train more than 200 animated Manga monsters and heroes
- The graphics are stellar
- The app supports the Leaderboard
Heavenstrike Rivals app review: a tactical card game with elements of strategy role play
Maybe you're searching for something a little out of the ordinary and that's exactly what the The Infinite Black: Tactical Space MMO app is. This one is incredibly popular and gives players a chance to engaging in multi-player online battles, but when we say multi-player we mean a massive amount of players; in fact, tens of thousands of them at any given time. Engage in fleet versus fleet battles, try to earn as many of the more than 6,000 awards/prizes/achievements as possible, check out the various weapons and armor available, and try the 20 customized ships. Of course the game supports the Leaderboard so you can prove you reign supreme.
- Fleet versus fleet tactical battles
- Engage in multi-player online action with tens of thousands of players
- There are awards, prizes, and achievements
- The app supports the Leaderboard
- There are customized ships
The Infinite Black app review: take command of space battleships in a massive multiplayer online game
While some games seem to be over almost as soon as they start others like the Royal Defense: Invisible Threat app provides players with tons of levels to work through. In this game there are over 100 levels with updates and new levels being added. It's your job to protect the castle from the trolls that are threatening to take it over. In order to do this you need to strategize and start building towers, learn how to cast spells, and save your money to use where it is needed. Make improvements and upgrades to your existing structures and be sure to keep an eye on all the stats of each unit and tower.
- Strategize and protect your castle
- Build towers
- Upgrade and improve existing towers and structures
- Be sure to keep an eye on each building’s stats
- Learn how to cast spells to use against enemies
Royal Defense: Invisible Threat app review - defend your castle by building powerful towers
Tower defense games never seem to go out of style, they just seem to get more intense and action-packed. The Pirate Legends TD app is a great example of a tower defense game that requires tactical thinking. There are five heroes to play as and each one has their own skill set. There are 20 towers that you can use and there are upgrades available. The goal here is to guide your ship through the Caribbean waters which are known for the evil and hungry Undead Horde and Cannibals. There are three different modes of difficulty to choose from, achievements to earn, and you'll be quite impressed by the sounds and graphics.
- This one requires plenty of tactical thinking
- Enjoy slick sounds and graphics
- There are achievements to earn
- There are three modes of difficulty
Pirate Legends TD app review: a nautical tower defense adventure