It's very possible that you'll see something at a film festival that was taken on an iPhone, or trending documentaries uploaded to sites like YouTube. You have probably taken some kind of video with your iPhone, and there are other uses for your device behind the scenes other than just as a camera. From scriptwriting to filming to editing to adding special effects, you can use your iPhone to ensure everything goes smoothly. Check out our list of the best movie making apps for iPhone.
The best iPhone apps for movie makers
19 Mar 2017, by Christine Pamintuan
No matter what your skill level is, if you are looking to make a film on your iPhone, then this might just be the perfect app for you. The app is free to download and use. However, you must pay to remove the watermark. And, this app is definitely worth the in-app purchase. Users can shoot, edit and share their films all from one handy app. High resolution, Fast-Mo, Slow-Mo, Strobe effect, motion effects, live filters, sync audio, dedicated controls, store films on iPhone or Dropbox, create and work on multiple projects and many more awesome features. This app also has numerous other in-app purchases.
- Shoot, edit and share your films all within one app
- Great for users of all skill levels
- High resolution, Sync audio, Motion effects
- Filters, Plenty of editing tools, Cloud storage
- Numerous in-app purchases including watermark removal
Cameo is an award-winning, free video editing app that helps you to edit and share cinematic videos using your phone. Combine clips from your Camera Roll to trim, edit, and splice. Add filters, a soundtrack, and themes. You can edit and save your videos at any resolution, share on Facebook, Twitter, Vimeo, and Twitter, or save them in the cloud or on your device. You can add captions and titles and adjust audio. The available soundtracks are all carefully curated, free, and by talented artists.
- Create cinematic video edits for Vine and Instagram
- Easy-to-use, powerful video editing tools
- Edit and save at any resolution
- Show off your videos in Vimeo's ad-free HD player
- High quality themes, filters, and soundtracks
Vintage Film Camera will quickly have you shooting a retro-style silent movie. With just one tap of the Record button, you'll turn everyday humdrum scenes into a movie that looks like it's a hundred years old. You get free recording for six seconds or you can buy the “5 minutes film” for longer sequences, you can append as many cuts as you like, and what you see in the preview is what you record. You will enjoy the realistic vintage effects like dirt noise and frame shifting, Film End, and Burning effects. All of the main features are on one screen and sharing is easy.
- Record stylized videos
- Realistic vintage effects
- Simple operation
- Shoot retro-style silent movies
- Free with in-app purchase to upgrade
Slow & Fast Video allows you to slow down or speed up sections of video. You won't have to deal with a pesky watermark and it's free to save your changes. The app supports landscape or portrait operation, unrestricted video length, and corrected audio pitch. Features include unrestricted video length, free exporting, smooth speed changes, corrected audio pitch, and the ability to apply speed variations to multiple sections of your video. You can load and edit normal or slow motion videos, save at full resolution, and choose adjustable Fast Speed Up or adjustable Slow Down.
- Slow down or speed up sections of your videos
- No watermark
- Free to save changes
- No limit to video length
- Free with in-app purchase to remove ads
Untitled is the Evernote for screenwriting. A notebook tailored specially for screenwriters, that turns notes into scenes with the tap of a button. Anyone can create stories, develop characters, draft up scenes and preview notes. Untitled is the perfect home for ideas, first drafts and everything in-between.
• A simple, beautifully crafted text editor with a customized font that reduces writer's block
• Focus mode, leaves you with a blank page, a cursor, and your imagination
• Turn your notes into scenes automatically
• iCloud Sync and you’ll never lose another page of notes or ideas again
Add songs from your iPhone to your videos and post them for your friends to enjoy using the app Add Music To Videos. Need to get more likes on Instagram? This is one way to do it. Choose your source video, select the music you want to use and trim according to need, merge the video with your music selection, and save the results to your library. It's as easy as that. This is a fast and easy way to set some music to a video without spending a ton of time doing so.
- Add songs from your iPhone to your videos
- Choose your source video, choose a song
- Trim according to need
- Save and share to social media
- Free with in-app purchase to remove ads
Intro Designer Lite helps you make professional-looking intro videos using a minimal user interface that is great to look at and easy-to-use. Use this app with iMovie to make amazing HD intro movies, end credits, openers, and more in just three steps. You can choose from a bunch of template designs, each of which has a proper soundtrack and sound effects. You can personalize some templates with a photo. Change fonts, text captions, size, and position, then choose your photo, preview your composition in real time and export. You get seven free professional templates, exclusive vector text technology, and tutorial mode.
- Save your projects and customize whenever you want
- Preview in real time
- Make intro videos
- Easy-to-use interface
- Free movie maker app for iPhone
MovieMaker is a magazine about the art and business of making movies and this app gives you the digital version. You can buy current, future, and back issues within the app; while free, the app does require subscription or purchase of individual issues. The magazine was founded in 1993 and has a quarterly readership of 150,000 people. It's a special interest consumer publication with techniques, festival coverage, criticism, profiles, and more. If you make or love movies, check out this digital magazine app.
- Nation's leading magazine on making movies
- In-depth criticism
- DIY techniques
- Free with subscription available in-app
Use Vont to add text to your videos. You get access to more than 400 fonts and the ability to install more. You can change the text size, color, shadow color, and gradient. The background color of the text you choose is also changeable. You may rotate or curve your text, too. The app is easy to use and adding fonts is simple as well, in the event you can't find the one you want among those offered. This app is great if you want to add a watermark to your videos.
- Add text to videos
- Over 400 fonts available in the app
- Easy to install more fonts
- Change the color, size, and gradient of text
- Free with in-app purchases
MovieSpirit turns you into the director, producer, and even the star of your own videos. Combine all elements like photo, video, music, voice, text, and your own creativity and then add various effects. You can add multi-layer video, scene switching effects, and paint directly on the movie. It's easy to share to YouTube, Vine, Instagram, Facebook, and iCloud. Some more functions you will enjoy include various video and photo filters, the option to add expression icons, and slow/fast motion effects.
- Direct, produce, and star in your own videos (if you want)
- Add elements like voice, photos, text, and music
- Add text animation
- Share to various platforms
- Add slow motion/fast motion effects
Vertical Studio allows you to film aerial shots quickly and easily. Use your drone to auto-track subjects and design 3D flight paths so you can fly safely. Features of the app include auto-tracking, orbit, and walls. Auto-tracking allows you to select a subject and then the app controls the camera to frame your shot while you control the drone. Orbit will let you fly circles around an object. Walls will let you define a perimeter for your flight on a map and then keeps you within it. The developer recommends you don't use this app on any iPhone older than a 5S.
- Film aerial shots quickly and easily
- Stay in control of your drone
- Set up Orbits
- Set up Walls
- Auto-tracking feature
- Free with in-app purchase