Whether you are an aspiring musician or just want to record you and your friends singing and playing music, you'll definitely want to check out our list of the best studio recording apps for your iPad. These apps will help you create music, write music, add effects and filters, record and mix multiple tracks, double up as a microphone and more. One of these apps might just make you the next Internet sensation.
The best studio recording apps for iPad
15 May 2017, by Christine Pamintuan
Record music anywhere, add professional quality effects, edit and mix your music to perfection with Spire. This app will make your tracks sound better than ever and offers many editing tools to let your creativity run wild. With simple touch gestures, it’s easy to make edits and use the app. Collaborate with others, share your finished song with others, export tracks and more. Record and mix multiple tracks on your iPad and create the next big Internet hit.
- Record music, Multiple tracks
- Professional quality effects, Increased clarity
- Easy to edit tracks, Collaborate with others
- Export options, Share with others
- Simple touch gestures
Garageband is a very popular app with iOS musicians. This app has a wide range of features and functions that can meet just about any music recording or mixing need. There are Live Loops, Templates, Create loops, tap to record, acoustic and electronic drummers, over 150 synth patches, play musical instruments, capture any sound, create custom instrument through the Sampler, 3D Touch, Record performances, sound like an orchestra, share songs, store songs, add new tracks and so much more. This is easily one of the most comprehensive studio recording apps on the planet.
- One of the best and most popular studio recording apps
- Live Loops, Loop Templates, Create Loops
- Acoustic and Electronic drummers, Sound like an orchestra
- Tap to Record, Record performances, Capture any sound
- Keep, Save, Edit, Share your songs
Music Studio is a production environment with many cool features and functions. It has a friendly interface, which makes it easier to record and create music. There are 118 studio quality instruments, 127-track sequencer, note editing, reverb, real-time effects, and more. This impressive app also has beat and metronome settings, MIDI import and export, Sampler, Waveform, AudioCopy and AudioPaste, Audio tracks, Pitch Blend and just about every other tool you can think of. There are in-app purchases for additional instruments and packages.
- Impressive, feature rich music production studio
- Real-time effects, Note editing, Reverb
- Studio quality instruments, Record and Share music
- Waveform, Sampler, MIDI, Metronome, Microphone
- In-app purchases for additional instruments and packages
MicSwap is both a standalone app and a tool that you can use to integrate with other apps on this list like GarageBand. There are 15 different studio microphones that allows you to record and change sounds. It’s easy to swap microphones, adjust the input, color code your recordings, adjust gain, edit recordings, AU compatible, change backgrounds, view descriptions of each mic, AudioCopy enabled and more. The first 3 microphones are free. However, there are in-app purchases for the remaining microphones.
- A standalone recording app or use with other apps
- 15 different studio microphones
- Record and change sounds, Edit recordings
- AU compatible, AudioCopy, Color Code recordings
- In-app purchases for additional microphones
This super easy 2 track recorder adds high quality effects to your music tracks and recordings. You can cut, copy, paste tracks, add fades or loops, use echo or reverb, record using third party apps, record using built-in mic, collaborate with others via recording sessions, contribute to other musical works, share your work on social media and more. This app might not have all of the features that other apps do on this list, but it’s easy and fun to use for your own music or to collaborate with other musicians.
- 2 track recorder, High quality audio effects
- Cut, Copy, Paste tracks, Fades and Loops
- Built-in Mic, Metronome
- Collaborate with others, Creative community
- Save and Share music with others
Here’s a high quality dub filter with plenty of features to make this app worthy of a space on your iPad. It has audiobus, and inter-app support, a state variable filter with resonance and overlap, built-in stero sampler, control manager for all parameters, Midibus, Virtual MIDI, Snapshots Presets Morphing Pad, Post Fx Chain and more. You can manage your music files, share via Cloud services or iTunes and AudioCopy. If you happen to be looking for a dub filter app, this is the one to get.
- A feature rich dub filter app
- Audibus, Inter-App support
- State Variable Filter with resonance and overlap
- Stereo Sampler, Control Manager
- File Manager, Share via Cloud services, AudioCopy
This app is more than just a studio recorder, it’s a hub to your musical creativity. The audio is high quality and there’s an unlimited number of channels and effect slots. The clean and intuitive user interface makes mixing, recording and editing a precise and easy process. Internal busses, accurate transport clock, Audiobus state saving, Metronome, record synchronized beats, FilePlayer, AudioShare files, Built-In nodes, latency compensation, Fully MIDI controllable, MIDI keyboard and so much more. The features and tools within this app are too many to mention. It really is worthy of a download despite the price tag.
- A powerful hub for musical creativity
- High quality audio, Crisp User Interface
- Unlimited number of channels and effect slots
- Metronome, MIDI control and keyboard, AudioShare
- Transport Clock, Latency Compensation, Built-in Nodes
This app is a string synthesizer that’s 16 voice polyphonic and can be controlled by an in-app 25 key chromatic keyboard or you can connect a MIDI controller instead. The app also features Audiobus, IAA, Core MIDI, Save/Load, Gain Control, Tune and Detune controls, ADSR Attack, Noise and Noise pre-filter, string tension, stereo ping-pong delay and more. This app is simple to use. Yet, it provides a powerful string synthesis engine that users will thoroughly enjoy.
- String synthesizer and engine
- 16 voice polyphonic, MIDI support
- Audiobus, IAA, Save and Load
- Gain Control, ADSR Attack, String tension
- Noise, Tune and Detune controls
Tjis real time audio mangler has many great features and really gets the job done. There are numerous features including Audiobus and Inter-App Audio Support, Signal saturation, multiple delay lines, built-in stereo sampler with varispeed, Control manager LFO, MIDIbus, Virtual MIDI and Network, Snapshot Presets morphing pad, Post Fx Chaing and more. You can manage all of your music files, share the files via iTunes or Dropbox, and enjoy the benefits of AudioCopy.
- A real time audio mangler
- Loaded with features, Simple to use
- Audiobus, Inter-App Audio Support
- Multiple Delay Lines, Signal Saturation
- Stereo Sampler, Control Manager LFO, File Manager
Here’s a powerful audio workstation that lets you express your creativity with up to 24 high quality audio tracks. Record multiple takes, solos, harmonies and other musical experiments. Build new songs, edit tracks, mix songs and share your creations with others. This app features a wide range of input options and audio files. Additionally, you have access to a metronome, volume faders, reverb, freeze tracks, grid views, fade in and out, monitor signal effects and more. This app has raised the bar in mobile music recording. There are in-app purchases for audio tracks.
- Powerful audio workstation and studio recording
- Loaded with features, Raised the bar of mobile recording
- Record multiple takes, solos and harmonies
- Wide range of input options, Editing tools, Audio files
- In-app purchases for additional audio tracks