An accelerometer-based ruler. Finally a useful "tape measure" is available for the iPod Touch and iPhone!
• AccelaRuler 1.0 was an Apple Staff Favorite, and AccelaRuler 2.0 is even better!
• #5 "iPhone Apps for the Home", Newsday
• "There are certainly times when a quick-and-dirty estimate of the size of a flat surface is all you need, and AccelaRuler can deliver that", MacWorld
It's easier to see than to explain -- to watch the video and see AccelaRuler in action, just search for "accelaruler" on YouTube, or visit accelaruler.com
There is a little bit of technique involved, so PLEASE watch the tutorial video and follow the instructions. There is also a video tutorial under the info button in the app itself.
Unlike other measuring applications, AccelaRuler is not just a tiny picture of an even tinier ruler. AccelaRuler measures real things in the real world using sophisticated processing and your built-in accelerometer to estimate distances. AccelaRuler can be used to measure distances ranging from a couple of inches to 10 feet or more. Measurement accuracy is up to 2% of the actual distance, and AccelaRuler will estimate any error range for you.
• Measures distances from a few inches to 10 feet or more
• New feature -- AccelaRuler now measures angles!
• Measures and converts between inches, feet, and meters
• New measurement history feature remembers recent measurements
• Perform calculations including perimeter, area, and average distance with the tap of a finger
Visit accelaruler.com for more information, including videos of AccelaRuler in action!
Note that AccelaRuler is designed to estimate distances while sliding on flat surfaces. It will not work well carried in your hand.