QuiltFab 3.0 will help you answer the question "How much fabric do I need to finish this quilt I'm making?" It bases the answer on some common backing, binding, border, sashing, and block fabric choices and construction methods. Just fill in the size of the quilt and its parts, and QuiltFab will compute the amount of fabric needed for making the quilt backing, binding, borders, and sashing. You can change the fabric characteristics including width and shrinkage, the backing piecing preferences and quilting method, the binding width, the type and size of 1 to 3 borders, sashing strip sizes and counts, and plain block number and size. Size and fabric needs also can be calculated for corner and setting triangles, based on the size of a reference block. Help screens, associated with each fabric calculation, explain the choices and offer suggested values.
When you leave the application, your latest design choices will be saved, and this information will appear the next time you use the application. Thus you can customize QuiltFab to use your own preferred fabric and quilting methods. You can also email the results to retain a record of your quilt design.
- Specify your quilt's width and height.
- Identify the fabric's usable width, per cent shrinkage, and straightening needs.
- For the backing, choose piecing preferences and overhang amount for hand, machine, or longarm quilting.
- Specify the binding width, based on your construction preferences.
- Choose between square or mitered, pieced or unpieced borders, and specify a finished width for up to 3 borders.
- Detail the number and size of alternate or plain blocks.
- If you are using sashing, specify the width and number of horizontal and vertical "strips".
- If you need setting triangles for a quilt set on point, specify the size of the reference block, and the number of side and corner setting triangles. The size of the blocks to cut and the amount of fabric needed will be computed.
- You can specify all sizes in either inches or centimeters, and fabric amounts can be shown in either yards or meters.
- Email the summary of construction choices, size details, and yardage requirements so you have a permanent record of your quilt design choices.