Ever wonder why the "altitude" reading on your iPhone 3GS never seems to correspond to your elevation above sea level?
It's because altitude and elevation are measures of two different quantities. Elevation For Real solves the altitude/elevation discrepancy.
Here's how it works. Say your iPhone 3GS measures your altitude at 100m in Dallas, Texas. The EGM96 geopotential model built into Elevation For Real converts this value to the correct elevation of 130m. Now, if your iPhone 3GS measures that same 100m altitude in Le Mans, France, Elevation For Real converts it to the correct elevation of 54m.
As a bonus, we've also included access to the USGS Elevation Web Service which provides US ground elevation data. You'll be amazed at how, when you have a good view of the sky, Elevation For Real's internally generated elevation converges on the USGS value after just a short time. Outside the U.S., or on iOS devices with non-U.S. region settings, or if the USGS elevation service is unavailable, Shuttle Radar Topography Mission (SRTM) published elevation data is shown between 60°N and 56°S latitude.
Here are some more features:
- Real-time map which displays your location
- Spot elevation data displayed by tapping map
- English or metric units based on your region setting
- Start/Stop button
- One touch screenshots
- NO Third-Party Ads!
Download Elevation For Real today!
1) homedatasheet.com, Inc. is not affiliated with USGS. USGS Elevation Web Service is available to the general public online, at no cost.
2 ) SRTM is provided by geonames.org. homedatasheet.com, Inc. is not affiliated with geonames.org. U.S.-based users should note that, in many instances, the SRTM data is not as accurate as USGS data. All users should note that, in certain locations, the SRTM data set may be tens of meters or more in error.
3) ***Use this app OUTDOORS! It needs a GPS signal to work, and may take several seconds to get a fix on your location.
4) ***Elevation for Real is intended for GPS-equipped iOS devices, but only performs altitude to elevation conversions on the iPhone 3GS. Later iPhone models and GPS-equipped iPads automatically output elevation.
5) ***Any elevation measurements with personal safety or financial implications should be performed by professionals with professional GPS equipment. Elevation for Real is not intended to determine flood hazard. Consult a licensed professional in your jurisdiction, such as a surveyor or engineer, when dealing with flood risk.