Reference: A reference of the essential basic traditional Katas in Karate (Shotokan).
Education: To help for preparing Karate grades examination for the Shotokan style.
For a fraction of the price of a Kata book or DVD, you can have in hand all Katas required for examinations from the white belt to the black belt (1st Dan), as well as the two Shotokan Shiteï Kata required for competitors. The complete Kata list included in the beginner version is shown below. If you look for more Katas, please check for the Pro version in the iTunes store.
What is iKATA KARATE project?
iKata Karate, Beginner & Pro versions, are educational tools aimed to help Karate students, professors, coaches, or judges and referees, to remind more easily a specific pattern in a comprehensive manner, while offering a significant resource and overview about the style Shotokan on a mobile support. You can bring and use iKata everywhere and without any connection required (i.e. in a dojo or on a trip).
A collection of detailed animations exclusively focused on the ESSENTIAL points :
The major advantage of the iKata resources is to faster improve the memorization effort and mental process involved for learning a Kata than any other individual method (i.e. videos, books, drawings), whatever the grade and/or level of expertise. With the associated tools, the learning effort will be more efficient to help any karateka intuitively remember the form of a Kata.
In the Beginner version, the following official Shotokan Katas are included :
1. TAIKYOKU SHODAN: preparatory Kata for beginners (and white belts).
2. HEIAN SHODAN: Kata officially required to pass the yellow belt, 8th grade/kyu.
3. HEIAN NIDAN: Kata officially required to pass the orange belt, 7th grade/kyu.
4. HEIAN SANDAN: Kata officially required to pass the green belt, 6th grade/kyu.
5. HEIAN YODAN: Kata officially required to pass the blue belt, 5th grade/kyu.
6. HEIAN GODAN: Kata officially required to pass the blue belt, 4th grade/kyu.
7. TEKKI SHODAN: Kata officially required to pass the brown belt, 3th grade/kyu.
8. BASSAI DAI: Kata officially required to pass the brown belt, 2th grade/kyu.
9. JION*: Kata officially required to pass the brown belt, 1th grade/kyu.
10. KANKU DAI*: Kata officially required to pass the black belt, 1st Dan.
(*) Shitei Kata according to the WKF and as well as other major karate organizations.
Please have a look to the professional version for the complete list of Kata.
About the pedagogy: The author is PhD in Sports Sciences specialized in High-Performance Sports Coaching with a solid knowledge of international Kata competitions and in addition to a personal interest on traditional Japanese Budôs.