Curious Folks Ask:
162 Real Answers on Amazing Inventions, Fascinating Products, and Medical Mysteries
By Sherry Seethaler
“Dr. Seethaler has written an excellent book for any interested student of science. She answers great questions about the world around us in this fascinating book. As a high school science teacher, I encounter many of these from my own students. I would highly recommend this book for anyone who has pondered questions starting with ‘how,’ ‘what,’ or ‘why.’”
–Ernest James Lo, Science Teacher, Woodside High School, Woodside, CA
Prepare to Be Fascinated!
Why does the flu change every year?
• What makes glue sticky?
• What causes out-of-body experiences?
• Are all brands of gas the same?
• Will adult stem cells work as well as embryonic stem cells?
• Is one “horsepower” really equal to the power of one horse?
• Why can’t you sneeze with your eyes open?
• How much does a cremated body weigh?
What causes goose bumps, earwax, dandruff, headaches? Whether it’s healthy to crack your knuckles, drink decaf, eat chocolate? What it costs to run all those LED lights around your house? It’s all here–and a whole lot more!
• Your body’s oddities: knees to knuckles, itches to sneezes -- Surprising facts about how your body grows and works
• Our ingenious inventions -- The past, present, and future of our relentless human inventiveness
• Pesky pathogens: viruses, bacteria, and prions --How they keep outsmarting us, and why it’s so hard to stay healthy
• Common chemical concoctions -- The science behind the everyday products that have transformed our lives
• Uniquely human: how we got here, how we’re unique --New lessons from genetics, archaeology, and evolutionary biology
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Sherry Seethaler, a science writer and educator at University of California, San Diego, works with scientists to explain their discoveries to the public. She writes a column for the San Diego Union Tribune answering reader's questions about science and is the author of Lies, Damned Lies, and Science and most recently, Curious Folks Ask. Seethaler holds an M.S. and Master of Philosophy in biology from Yale, and a Ph.D. in science and math education from UC Berkeley. Her dissertation examined how students are taught to make sense of scientific controversy. She designed and taught the innovative university course Teaching Contemporary Scientific Controversies, and helped design UCSD's California Teach program, which prepares science and math students to teach.
ABOUT FT PRESS DELIVERS BOOKS:
The FT Press Delivers Books e-Reader brings top-quality books from leading experts in Business, Finance and Investing, Sales and Marketing, Management and Leadership and Global Business to the convenience of your iPhone or iPod touch.
*Book-like reading experience on your iPhone or iPod Touch.
*Table of contents with easy, one click navigation.
*Vertical and horizontal orientation
*Adjustable font selection, size and color.
*Adjustable background color
*Search the text of the book.
*Highlight text within the book
*Bookmark pages within the book
ABOUT FT PRESS:
FT Press, an imprint of Pearson, publishes high-quality books in the areas of General Business, Finance and Investing, Sales and Marketing, Leadership, Management and Strategy, Human Resources, and Global Business. Our brand is built on the concept of signing and publishing the world’s best minds on the most relevant topics.