Using this app before appointing a lawyer could save you time and money. Deciding to divorce is a huge step and many people involve lawyers too soon, without enough time or guidance to make an informed decision. The Divorce UK app, named as one of the top 500 apps in the world in The Sunday Times App List 2012, offers free guidance and tools to help you understand the legal, practical and emotional issues you may face when considering divorce or separation. Legal concepts and processes, relevant to England and Wales, are explained concisely by the leading family lawyers at UK law firm, Mills & Reeve, the same people behind the renowned Divorce.co.uk website.
Key features include:
• An adviser section, which asks a series of simple questions and presents useful notes, links and videos along the way tailored to your circumstances
• Videos offering advice from experienced senior family lawyers
• A contextual glossary explaining the many legal terms you may come across
• Answers to frequently asked questions
• Virtual walkthroughs and simple flow charts of the legal and financial processes involved in a divorce
• A list of useful websites for further information
• An enquiry form and phone numbers to get in touch with the family lawyers directly
The advice provided is intended to help you understand what your choices are and what you will need to consider from a personal point of view, alongside any legal considerations. For example, questions such as “Are you sure your marriage has broken down irretrievably?” and “What happens to the children?” are crucial to consider before taking the step of speaking to a lawyer.
If you have already made the difficult decision to divorce or separate, you will be faced with a complicated legal system and baffling legal terminology. The app offers a clear reference guide and walkthrough of the legal processes involved and aims to help avoid involving the courts unnecessarily.
The content in the Divorce UK app has been written by the leading national family law team at Mills & Reeve, which is one of the largest and most well respected in the UK. They firmly believe in helping clients to help themselves, and are leaders in providing free legal information. The Divorce UK app works alongside the www.divorce.co.uk website, which also provides a wealth of free information and has proven to be a popular and helpful resource for anyone considering or going through a divorce.
Please note that the information contained in this app relates to the law of England and Wales only. The content is intended to be of a general nature for guidance only and is not legal advice. It is important to take independent legal advice on the issues described if you do decide to proceed with a divorce.