ToneExplorer lets you generate, view, hear, and easily
manipulate basic audio signals using natural touch gestures.
- This is a UNIVERAL APP: one purchase works on both iPhone (iPod touch) and iPad.
The iPad interface is designed specifically the the iPad screen size.
==== Offers a very flexible tone generator ====
- Four waveform shapes to listen to / view:
- Square wave
- Enter aritrary values for frequency and amplitude.
==== Unique graphical/interactive interface to set paramegers ====
1. Waveform View:
The time-domain representation
of the signal, and change the frequency or
amplitude by simply pinching and stretching
2. Parameter View:
A "phase-space" view of the waveform's parameters:
frequency and amplitude. Control these two parameters
by moving a point in the frequency-amplitude plane.
Dragging finger can mimic theremin-like sounds.
- Ampltiude: linear or logarithmic (dB, decibels) scale.
- Frequency: linear (Hertz) or logarithmic (midi note number) scale.
- Zoom in/out
Both views can be zoomed in and out.
Can make aritrarily fine-grained changes
to the parameters.
- A variety of other methods to set the frequency:
- Set to the frequency corresponding to a musical note.
Choose from presets of all notes spanning 11 octaves.
- Change frequency by musical intervals:
- Minor second
- Major second
- Minor third
- Major third
- Perfect fourth
- Perfect fifth
- Minor sixth
- Major sixth
- Minor seventh
- Major seventh
- Set to frequency corresponding to notes on typical instruments. Presets include:
==== More uses ====
- Check your hearing. Find the maximum frequency/amplitude setting you can hear.
- Educational. Learn and explore the concepts of amplitude, frequency, wavelength, pitch, and volume.
Also explore the differences between linear and logarithmic scales for frequency and amplitude.
- Musical ear training.
- Generate high-pitched tones: control dogs (dog whistle),
irritate young people, and confuse old people.
- Tune instruments. Includes settings for guiar,violin,viola,cello,bass, and piano.