Minimal Pairs is a fun and engaging application for working on speech sound discrimination and production. The app is designed for children with developmental communication difficulties and also adults with phonological difficulties. However, the app can also be used with a range of clients including those with with dysphasia, dyslexia or dysgraphia; teachers of adult literacy; therapists working with children who have language and literacy needs or those working with people for whom English is a second language. The app can be set up by parents, teachers and speech pathologists and can be used in both listening and practising for speaking modes, using phrase completion tasks.
The program targets the following speech sounds in the initial, medial, final and blend position of words: p, b, m, n, t, d, k, g, f, v, s, z, dz (as in jam), j (as in yacht), w, r, l, th, sh, ch. You can choose to work on sounds at the beginning of words (such as wing and ring), the middle (open and ocean), the end (bed and bet), or in blends (such as clock compared to lock). Each task can also be modified to have the symbol and text, just the text or just the symbol. At the end of each set, the user can watch motivational videos of Dubdub and see their results. Results can be viewed and shared.
• Over 700 individual target words
• Targets auditory discrimination (identifying the difference between sounds in words)
• Targets spoken production of minimal pair contrasts at word level and within phrase completion tasks
• The app covers all consonants in English and offers both English and American voices
• Option to present the cards with symbol only, symbol + word or word only
• Spoken cues
• Engaging and colourful Widgit symbols
• Fun and motivational videos
• Fun sounds used as a reinforcement to aid learning (can also be turned off)
• Option of two themes (Dubdub’s theme of alternative theme)
• Clear visual feedback on each item
• Automatically keeps track of accuracy
• Email results table (includes performance of each item within the set and the overall percentage correct within the set.
• Parental control menu access
• Information from our resident speech therapist
• Enables self directed learning and continuation of therapy at home