“We train in being present with whatever arises in our experience, whether it is pain or pleasure, something agreeable or disagreeable. This is our path. … The challenge is to be completely present with whatever comes up and see what you discover,” teaches American-born Tibetan Buddhist nun Pema Chödrön.
With the How to Meditate with Pema Chödrön app, this revered teacher and bestselling author presents a complete spoken-word course for those new to meditation. Through traditional insights and her personal guidance, Chödrön will help you honestly meet and compassionately relate with your mind as you explore:
- The basics of mindfulness awareness practice, from proper posture to learning to settle to breathing and relaxation
- Gentleness, patience, and humor—three ingredients for a well-balanced practice
- Shamatha (or calm abiding), the art of stabilizing the mind to remain present with whatever arises
- Thoughts and emotions as “sheer delight”—instead of obstacles—in meditation
"From my own experience and from listening to many people over the years, I've tried to offer here what I feel are the essential points of meditation," explains Pema Chödrön. With this app, enter your meditation practice with an accessible, down-to-earth approach to achieving true mindfulness.
The How to Meditate with Pema Chödrön app features:
- In-depth instruction including 12 guided meditations (5 hours, 52 minutes of audio teachings)
- A relaxing slide show
- An interactive vine garden to enjoy while listening (iPad only)
- Bookmarking to help you easily find your favorite content
- A bonus excerpt from Pema Chödrön
- Bonus video with Pema Chödrön
About the Author
Pema Chödrön is a revered teacher of meditation and how meditative practices apply to everyday life. She is an American bhikshuni—a Buddhist nun in the Tibetan Vajrayana tradition—and since her ordination in 1974, she has conducted workshops, seminars, and meditation retreats in Europe, Australia, and throughout North America. She is the director of Gampo Abbey, the first Tibetan Buddhist monastery in North America, and an acharya (master teacher) in the lineage of Chögyam Trungpa, Rinpoche. Pema Chödrön is also the author of several books: The Wisdom of No Escape, Start Where You Are, When Things Fall Apart, The Places that Scare You, No Time To Lose, and Practicing Peace in Times of War.