TXTilecity: Mapping the history of textiles in Toronto's urban fabric
Textiles have played a key role in shaping Toronto’s urban landscape, offering a unique lens into the rich history and cultural diversity of this dynamic, multi-faceted city.
Navigate Toronto with TXTilecity – a new app that shows the significance of textiles and textile history in shaping the social, cultural, economic and architectural terrain by bringing sites and stories to life in video and audio. Walking through key mapped locations in the city’s centre, discover the evolving role of textiles in defining the urban landscape from early garment manufacturing and the performing arts, to the rise of the fashion industry and contemporary design.
Textile Museum of Canada
in collaboration with
Year Zero One + [murmur]
This project was made possible with the generous support of the Department of Canadian Heritage through the Canada Interactive Fund.
- Access a rich archive of location-based documentary multimedia content
- Enrich your experience of Toronto with an interactive, entertaining narrative platform
- Navigate through the city and discover Toronto's textile history
- View nearby stories as a list according to your location
- Encounter the city as a living museum
- Tour the Toronto's changing urban landscape through time
- Reveal hidden histories and memories of the city
- Explore evidence of the past in the present
- Share your experiences with your friends, straight from the App