Kernerman Advanced English Dictionary is a user-friendly dictionary designed to address the needs of both English-speakers and learners of English at upper-intermediate and advanced levels. All those who use English as a native or foreign language, whether high school and university students, professionals, or the general public, will find it a useful addition to their library.
The dictionary contains over 50,000 main and sub-entries, reflecting the status of English as the international language of communication.
Kernerman Advanced English Dictionary is both a teaching and learning tool. Its goal is not only to provide information, but also to teach active and appropriate use of words and phrases. Meanings are explained in simple vocabulary and grammar, without the use of abstract terms. The typical examples of usage, rich in collocations, are corpus supported and are taken from everyday life. The entries are packed with a wealth of information. Irregular plurals, spellings, pronunciations and phonetic transcriptions are all indicated. Nouns show countability or uncountability. Verb entries show principle parts and irregular spellings. Irregular adjective and adverb comparative and superlative forms are indicated. Usage is indicated by labels such as formal, informal and slang. Notes are provided to cover grammatical problems in English, and other points that may be confusing for non-native users of the dictionary. Both British and American forms, meanings, spellings and pronunciations are given. In addition, the dictionary is both culturally neutral and gender-unbiased.
To avoid overcrowding of the text, each headword starts on a new line, and includes the relevant antonyms, cross-references, etc.
Kernerman Advanced English Dictionary is completely up-to-date, with present-day expressions and vocabulary in science, technology, communications, the arts and humanities. A rich set of appendices provides a wealth of encyclopedic knowledge on a broad variety of topics, while headwords appear in color.
A search tool
Featuring various search options to help you find the words you need more easily, including:
* A quick search of words while you type
* A ‘fuzzy filter’ for when you are not sure of the correct spelling of a word
* A ‘keyword’ search for finding key words within phrasal verbs
* A wild card search facility which can replace a letter or a group of letters
A learning tool
The dictionary app includes a number of features which help you to expand your vocabulary further:
* A ‘Favorites’ feature allows you to create your own categories and lists of words
* Your last visited words are all saved in your ‘History’, so that you can quickly look back at recently checked words
* See words in context with example sentences
* Fun and engaging word games like ‘Hangman’, ‘Word scramble’ and ‘Anagrams’ give the opportunity to use newly learnt words