Hadrian's Wall Trails
Explore Hadrian's Wall from the perspective of different characters who live alongside it and play a role in its development and rediscovery.
Follow the dedicated trail for Wall Face, a Wall-wide display of portraits of the pioneers who protected, conserved or told the story of Hadrian’s Wall. This exhibition at 11 Roman attractions features prints and photographs from the National Portrait Gallery Collection.
Your guides are John Clayton the 19th century antiquarian who did so much to preserve the Wall and reveal its secrets; Brenda Armstrong, a proud local farmer; a Stonemason who repairs the Wall with the utmost care and Praefectus Arthitecti, a Roman soldier engineer who was tasked with building the Wall on the orders of emperor Hadrian.
These characters take you through time and space to bring a different angle on the history and significance of Hadrian’s Wall past and present.
Hadrian's Wall Trails is designed for use at various locations along the Wall to enhance your visit to Hadrian's Wall Country. All information is stored within the app - so you don't need to rely on having a data signal when visiting! However, to make best use of the app, enable GPS to identify where you are and the closest points of interest.
- A dedicated trail for the Wall Face exhibition including audio content
- Contact details and links to further information for attractions participating in Wall Face
- Four trails, guided by characters who have lived alongside Hadrian's Wall
- GPS integration allowing you to locate where you are and nearby points of interest
- Twitter and Facebook integration
- Note taking option
- Ability to mark visited or favourite locations