‘The depth of information provided is admirable’ New Scientist
Authoritative and reliable, this A-Z provides jargon-free definitions for even the most technical mathematical terms. With 3,000 entries ranging from Achilles paradox to zero matrix, it covers all commonly encountered terms and concepts from pure and applied mathematics and statistics, for example, linear algebra, optimization, nonlinear equations, and differential equations. In addition, there are entries on major mathematicians and on topics of more general interest, such as fractals, game theory, and chaos.
Using graphs, diagrams, and charts to render definitions as comprehensible as possible, entries are clear and accessible and offer an ideal introduction to the subject. Also included are lists of Nobel Prize winners and Fields' medallists, Greek letters, formulae, and - new to this edition - tables of inequalities, moments of inertia, Roman numerals, and more. This edition contains recommended web links at entry level.
Fully revised and updated in line with curriculum and degree requirements this dictionary is indispensable for students and teachers of mathematics, and for anyone encountering mathematics in the workplace.
This is a mobile dictionary with content from Oxford University Press and advanced search and language tools that have become the staple of quality language apps from MobiSystems.
SEARCH TOOLS – effortlessly find words using a clear, functional, and easy-to-use interface. The integrated search tools activate automatically the moment you start typing:
* Search autocomplete helps find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type
* Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases
* An automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ to correct word spelling, as well as ‘Wild card’ ('*' or '?') to replace a letter or entire parts of a word
* Camera search automatically searches for words in the camera viewfinder and displays results
LEARNING TOOLS – engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary:
* ‘Favorites’ feature to create custom folders with lists of words from the extensive library
* ‘Recent’ list to help you easily review looked-up words
* ‘Word of the day’ section to help expand your vocabulary every day
If you have any questions, feedback or suggestions please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.