This app is an audio visual experience that allows you to explore the city and discover its defining moments and untold stories using routes created by the people who know Manchester best. Each tour is enhanced with layers of extra content; images from the city archives; all waiting to be discovered as you stroll.
How to use this app
This app gives you a heads-up experience: plug in your headphones, pop your mobile device in your pocket and simply follow our audio directions without ever having to look down at a screen. If you do want extra guidance there's an on-screen map available at all times showing your location, tour route and tour points.
- Official Manchester Walking Tours app brought to you by Manchester City Council, NOMA and magneticNorth
- Includes free walking tours created by official city guides:
- Cultural Tour – written by CreativeTourist.com, Manchester’s online art and travel guide, with tour guide John Ryan.
- Architecture highlights tour compiled by Sibby of mcrtourguide.com
- Northern Quarter & NOMA tour compiled by Ed Glinert of newmanchesterwalks.com
- Easy to follow audio directions and on-screen map
- Professional narration
- More tours coming soon
The Manchester Walking Tours app was created using Under The Paving Stones, a new digital platform from magneticNorth - a digital design company based in Manchester. The Under The Paving Stones platform allows you to create a custom audio and visual experience of a place using GPS to trigger audio so the user can explore an area at their own pace.
In order to trigger audio along your walking tour we use the GPS functionality of your iPhone. We only enable GPS once you have started your tour and once it is complete we disable it. To allow you to place your phone in your pocket when walking the tour we continue to track your location in the background. Continued use of GPS running in the background can drastically decrease battery life, so please ensure your phone battery is fully charged before starting a tour. We do not capture or save your location information, GPS is only used for triggering audio as you walk the route.
For further information, please visit: www.manchesterwalkingtours.co.uk
Terms and conditions