The History of Muncie Liquors
Fred Koger was raised in Tennessee by his Aunt and Uncle. Fred's uncle was a bootlegger who never even filed an income tax return. Fred wanted to purchase a liquor store at 501 W. Washington St. and his uncle agreed to loan him the money with a promise to pay it back as soon as possilbe. That promise was kept and the loan was paid back in 2 years.
In 1983, property was purchased at 801 N. Wheeling Ave. At that time the Washington St. location closed at 3:00 a.m. on Sunday morning and re-opened for business at 9:00 a.m. on Monday morning.
Relationships began to immediately become established with Ball State University. The Koger's were awarded paddles by several fraternity organizations including Delta Chi, Sigma Nu, Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Delta Tau Dalta, Sigma Chi, Theta Xi, SAE, and Beta Theta Pi. Most of these paddles remain hanging on the wall at 801 N. Wheeling Ave.
Meanwhile, Fred Koger bought a 2nd location at 2901 S. Madison and a 3rd location at 3005 N. Oakwood while being nominated by the National Liquor store for Retailer of the Year. Then in 1992 he purchased his 4th location at 605 W. McGalliard and his 5th location at 415 S. Tillotson.
Sadly, in 1994, Fred Koger lost his life while visiting his cabin in the Tennessee hometown of Dale Hollow.
In 2002, a 6th location at 1112 W. Centennial was purchased by Mrs. Koger.
Muncie Liquors continues to be price conscious and a service-oriented company that offers a vast variety of beers, domestics, imports and micro brews. Available items range from the latest new and established liquors and a huge selection of wines from various countries.
Our focal point is to serve only 21 year old patrons while providing the best service in town.