The Test Item Checklist (TIC) App allows teachers, curriculum specialists, and other interested people to diagnose flaws in multiple-choice test items by evaluating them in terms of a number of key criteria, such as alignment to the learning standard, language, and appropriate cognitive depth.
The app provides a list of eighteen criteria on which to evaluate a multiple-choice test item. Each criterion is accompanied by an explanation. The user simply checks off each criterion as being met or not met for a particular test item. In the end, the item is given a rating based on an algorithm that takes into account the criteria.
The app allows users to evaluate multiple items on the same test, storing the data, and providing an overall rating for the entire test. Using the TIC in a collaborative setting provides teachers and other stakeholders with a unified language for discussing issues with multiple-choice test items, and tests.
- item evaluations presented in plain language (examples: “acceptable”, “seriously flawed”, etc.)
- evaluation includes identification of most serious error
- each criterion has available explanatory text
- evaluate multiple items per test for an overall rating of the entire test
- store and edit data on items and tests