This game is an addition to the ‘Rough Medicine: Life & Death in the Age of Sail’ exhibition at the South Australian Maritime Museum, Adelaide South Australia. The game is played on an iPhone or iPad, and features a number of scenarios which are resolved by accepting alerts which are based on the location of objects in the exhibition. Beacons, small wireless sensors which communicate with in-range mobile devices via Bluetooth, are used to instigate the alerts which prompt the user to accept or reject the use of a specific remedy.
- Player selects a patient from the sick list.
- Player clicks 'Click to Start'
- A thermometer appears which indicates whether the player is nearby the correct remedy.
- An alert appears if the player is very close to any remedy (including the correct remedy)
- The player has the option to use the alerted remedy.
- If the player uses the correct remedy, a point is awarded.
- If the player uses the wrong remedy, no points are awarded.
- If the player fails to use the correct remedy, no points are awarded.
- If six patients have been completed (and the back button is clicked), either a 'Star surgeon' or 'Sloppy surgeon' message appears depending on the final score.