If you plan on partaking in outdoor activities this summer then you need to be aware of proper sun protection so you don’t end up with an uncomfortable sunburn. The following list of apps will act as a UV monitor so you know when to apply protection and even what level of protection to use. Some even contain timers to remind you to reapply, taking all the responsibility off your shoulders.
The best iPad apps for UV monitoring
10 Jun 2015, by Cherry Mae Torrevillas
Unsure of whether or not you need to apply sunscreen before heading out and if so, what level? The EPA's SunWise UV Index app can be handy as it offers users not just daily but also hourly forecast information when it comes to the UV rays. While it's always great to get outdoors and enjoy the sun, too much of it can result in sunburn which can cause serious problems down the road. You'll be able to enter in your zip code to then do a search. From there you can view the UV details and even read the suggested ways to cover up and what level SPF to use.
- Search for your information by zip code
- View the daily and hourly UV information
- Read details on how to cover yourself up
- Get the suggested SPF level for your UV conditions
There is no need to risk getting a sunburn when you head out this summer because with the UV US - Weather Forecast, UV index and Alerts app you'll have all the information you need at your fingertips. This one provides users with a daily notification regarding that day's UV rate. There is a time-to-burn estimation tool that can be personalized, tips for how to prevent skin cancer, and a push notification for UV hazards. Search by city and save your favorite cities. This one is great at home and while traveling.
- The app is easy and quick to use
- Search for the city you want information on
- Save your favorite cities
- Receive push notifications regarding harmful UV rays
- Read tips on how to prevent skin cancer
- This one comes in handy while on holidays
UV US app review: offering personalized ultraviolet radiation forecast
Before heading out on holidays or just for the day to take spectacular photos the Sol: Sun Clock app is a good one to download. This one alerts you to the times of the sunset, sunrise, and golden hours which can affect your photos in a big way. Of course there is more than just the photography aspect this one can also help you plan your activities for the day so you know exactly how much time of daylight you have left. This one is meant to look and feel like a traditional sundial except this app is loaded with tools and features that give you in-depth information. The app is able to automatically detect your locations and you can also check out the world map and take a look at other locations.
- Your own personal sundial
- It automatically detects your location
- Learn when sunset and sunrise will be
- View other cities around the world
Sol: Sun Clock app review: don't miss the sunset or sunrise
The Ultraviolet ~ UV Index app is able to show your current UV index and you can also check out other cities around the world. Now that you're aware of the reading you can check the advice the app has on how to best protect your skin. The app automatically detects your current location when you launch it but you can also manually search for another location. Never get caught in the sun without proper protection again.
- Upon launch the app detects your location
- Manually search for a location
- View the current UV index
- View a UV index forecast
- Get advice on how best to protect your skin
Ultraviolet app review: get the current UV Index reading for anywhere in the world
What's the best way to stay on top of the latest weather conditions and forecasts? The Personal Weather Station Monitor app is one sure-fire way that the weather will never take you by surprise again. With this app you'll be able to see the current conditions as well as the forecast thanks to the thousands of weather stations it has positioned around the world providing users with all kinds of details. While you'll get the typical information you would expect to find in a weather-based app this one also provides you with UV index ratings so you know how to properly protect your skin.
- Get the current conditions and a forecast
- The app is filled with details
- The user interface is simple and sleek
- Get UV index ratings
- The app has access to thousands of weather stations around the world
Personal Weather Station Monitor app review: offering timely weather report from the Weather Underground network
While some may think there is no safe way to tan the iTanSmart Free app begs to differ. This app gives users the tools needed to track their tanning sessions and provide alerts so you remember to reapply lotion at the proper intervals. The app is able to offer personalized information that is based on your skin type, the UV satellite data, and your SPF level, and then let you know when to not just reapply your lotion but to get in the shade to avoid burning. Setting this one up is quick and easy and from there you can let it do all the work.
- Create a personalized skin profile
- Get notified when it’s time to reapply lotion
- Get notified if you should get out of the sun
- The app is very user-friendly