If you’re looking for the kind of game that tests your strategy and thinking skills then you’re looking for tactical-style games. In this category you’ll find everything from a quick and simple game to ones that require hours’ worth of gameplay in order to make progress. Here’s a collection of some of the most fun tactical games available with both adult and kid offerings, meaning fun for the whole family.
The best iPhone apps for tactical games
18 Apr 2020, by Cherry Mae Torrevillas
SIERRA 7 is a Tactical On-Rail First Person Shooter. The super-stylish minimal aesthetic allows you to focus on varied fire-fights, which perfectly blend realism and arcade gameplay together in an exciting experience. You will be put in the line of fire against a tough and determined enemy with ties to Militia leaders and madmen willing to die for their cause.
- 12+ Hours Campaign
- Customizable Character with Gear & Weapons
- Unique and Varied Missions
- Major Overhaul of the original Sierra 7 (40,000,000+ plays!)
Lead the Sons of Russ into battle and slash your way through hordes of ferocious enemies with Boltgun fire and Chainsword teeth. Savour the atmosphere, as you play this combination of the strategy and the card game, where you can turn defeat into victory, where events on the battlefield depend on a wise choice of cards and decisions must be planned meticulously.
- An epic campaign, spanning hostile environments on a distant planet
- Squad-based tactical battles
- Lead your Space Wolves into fierce battles in glorious, interactive 3D environments
- Hundreds of weapons and abilities with various mechanics
Samurai Wars is a real-time tactical war-game for up to four players set in the Sengoku jidai period of medieval Japan. Become a samurai warlord and command your troops on the battlefield, using tactical skill to defeat the enemy army. Real-time tactical war-game for two or more players with realistic battle simulation of thousands of individual soldiers.
- Different unit types including: bow, arquebus, and yari ashigaru, katana, and naginata samurai, bow and yari cavalry and the general's bodyguard.
- Includes sandbox mode, where you can try out units and experiment with different strategies.
- Map files can be synchronized with iTunes File Sharing.
- Use the newly updated editor to make custom maps.
World of Warships Blitz is a free-to-play mobile MMO action naval battleship game by Wargaming and is based on the top award winning online PC version of World of Warships Blitz. World of Warships Blitz brings the World War 2 naval strategy and action gameplay of PC to the highly immersive, quick and fast paced action on your mobile and tablet.
Master the WWII steel boat juggernauts from a variety of Battleships, Cruisers, Destroyers and even Aircraft carriers
Choose from 90 unique classes of ships from Japan, the U.S.A., U.S.S.R or Germany and battle for ocean dominance
Play single-player solo missions or team up with friends to battle the enemy. Get supplies, equipment, war upgrades and new navy ships
Get rewards and medals for your successes as a fleet commander
How would you like the opportunity to take part in high-stakes dog-fighting over the coastline and the sea? The Fighter jet 3D Tactical attack app provides players with a chance to take part in modern warfare in the year 2019. The game offers 3D graphics and there is a flight between Dubai and Israel and the world. It’s up to you to defend your coastline against the attackers. The game is fast-paced and is quite chaotic at times. You have plenty of weapons to make use of and this one is bound to get your adrenaline going.
- The app features 3D graphics
- This one is fast-paced and action-packed
- You need to defend your coastline against the attackers
- The war takes place in 2019 and is chaotic at best
- The game controls are user-friendly and responsive
If you want gorgeous graphics, hard-core gameplay, and missions that will test your strategy skills then the MechWarrior: Tactical Command app is the way to go. This one offers up 21 missions and each one is meant to be unique and challenging. Make use of real-time tactics, enjoy the 3D graphics, and easily pick up on the game controls. Choose from three different difficulty modes and work your way up as you familiarize yourself with the game. Here you will be heading into battle and controlling every move your MechWarrior makes. The full camera rotation just adds to the fun and reality of this one.
- The full camera rotation adds to the realistic feeling of this game
- The app features 3D graphics and smooth controls
- There are three difficulty modes in the game
- There are 21 different missions
It's always fun when you can mix two very opposite settings into one fun game and that's what the Space Marshals app manages to do. This game mixes a space adventure with a Wild West-style adventure. Here you will be on the hunt for prisoners who have escaped with some top-down shooter-style gameplay. There are three different chapters as the game plays out like a storyline. There are HD graphics, the app supports Game Center, and you can save your progress to the iCloud. As you complete your missions you'll be rewarded for them and you can make use of all kinds of gear and weapons.
- The game offers 3D HD graphics
- You’ll be rewarded for completing missions
- This one supports Game Center
- Save your progress to the iCloud
- There are three different chapters of gameplay
If you don't want to settle for mediocre graphics and gameplay then you want the Clash of Warlords app that is a turn-based game. This one is based on the Chinese book Romance of the Three Kingdoms. There are 40 different levels and each one is filled with its own unique action. There are cards to collect, campaigns to take part in, and plenty of different locations to explore. This is war Chess like you've never played before and it will take plenty of practice before you come close to mastering it.
- The graphics are bright, lively, and fun
- This one requires plenty of strategizing
- It’s easy to pick up on but very difficult to master
- Collect cards and take place in a variety of campaigns
- There are 40 different levels
- The app uses turn-based gameplay