As a parent, we want to keep our children safe at all times. And, this also includes keeping them safe on the Internet. With so much unsafe, dangerous and unhealthy content on the Internet, it’s become even harder to protect kids from it all. Fortunately, there are some wonderful apps that will help parents keep a better eye on what their kids see. Our list of the best parental control app for iPhone and iPad has everything covered from monitoring internet browsing to exclusive kid friendly content.
The best parental control apps for the iPhone and iPad
5 Jun 2020, by Rick Rockwell
FamiSafe is a dedicated parental control app for kid's phone location, geofences, app monitoring and blocking, web content filtering, and remote screen time control. FamiSafe parental control app empowers parents to keep close eyes on their kids. FamiSafe offers a 3 day free trial when you sign up.
- Track your kid's whereabouts with the location-sharing feature
- View Location history
- Web Content Blocking Filtering
- Flexible Remote Control & Personalization Setting
‘Find My Kids’ was created especially for caring parents. The parental control app allows you to track the location of your child online and helps you not to worry if your child isn’t close by or isn’t answering your calls. You can also receive notifications about your child entering/leaving the house, school and other places that they visit regularly.
- The app will work on the child’s phone in the GPS locator mode
- The child can talk with you in the chat and in the case of danger can press the emergency button
- Localized interface and technical support
- The app Find My Kids supports multiple kinds of the child GPS watches
ZenScreen lets you track screen time and set sensible rules to limit app and screen use for yourself and your kids. Manage up to 5 devices for free forever. Smart blocking modes are a perfect compliment to what’s built into the device. This parental control app for iphone works great for individuals as well as parents with kids.
- Know how long you or your kids use the screen
- See how many minutes are spent each day on productive vs entertainment apps
- Set a digital allowance for entertainment apps like social media, video, and games
- Kids see the exact same dashboard as you see. Nothing to hide
Manage your child’s screen time from anywhere and at any time with OurPact app. Parents can block internet access, block apps, schedule specific time periods for usage, establish screen free time throughout the day, create custom schedules, reoccurring schedules, manage all iDevices, block third party apps and more. When an iDevice is blocked, the icons on the home screen are temporarily invisible. They will come back when the blocked period is over. There is a monthly subscription option to access full features of the app.
- Monitor your kid’s iDevices and screen time
- Block internet access, Block apps
- Schedule usage time, Schedule screen free time
- Manage all iDevices through one app
- In-app purchase for monthly subscription
Protect your kids’ web browsing experience through this parental control app for YouTube. Set up custom internet filters across various iDevices and desktops via this cloud-based system. Block websites based on pre-set inappropriate categories, create custom lists of blocked sites, additional parental control features, anti-virus protection, view web activity for each user, custom filtering, YouTube filters, download files safely, customer support and more. This app has a subscription service with a monthly or yearly option.
- Protect and monitor web browsing
- Browse and set custom filters on iDevices and Computers
- Pre-set blocked categories, Custom blocked lists
- Filters for videos, Download files, Anti-virus
- In-app purchases for monthly or yearly subscription
Unplugged helps users unplug and stay off their iPhones so that they can get other things done like work, homework, chores and spending time with family or friends. It can also be used by parents to limit the amount of time their kids play on the iPhone or iPad and filter the internet for your kids. Set a timer and the iDevice will go into airplane mode which disconnects from the internet. There’s a push notification to alert users that they are not supposed to be using their iDevice right now. If it’s an emergency, then you can always restart the timer. It’s a handy little app that might help in your household.
- A handy little app that can help in your home
- Set a timer and limit time on iPhones
- Will switch iPhone into airplane mode
- Alert system when someone tries to use during airplane mode
- Great way to teach time management
Here’s a great app for parents who want to limit the video content on YouTube to just kid friendly videos. The app is also designed for kids to search YouTube and find entertaining videos. This content includes popular television programming for children, it’s easy to navigate, set-up a built-in timer for how long you want your kids to watch videos and more. Parental controls should be set-up upon first downloading the app. Additionally, the settings are protected so that only parents can access it.
- A kid friendly way to use YouTube
- Set-up parental controls upon first downloading
- Settings are locked and accessible only to parents
- Built-in timers for allowed session time
- Easy for kids to search for videos
Kidslox is a great screen time app giving parents the power to control their kids’ screen time. Set daily limits for how long kids can be on their iDevices, switch between child mode and parent mode or a fully restricted lockdown mode, set timers, PIN protected so kids can’t access settings, block usage of apps, filter and restrict web browsing, block games and even use this app on computers or laptops. To access all of the features in this app, you must choose one of the subscription options.
- Take full control over your kids’ iDevices, laptops and PCs
- Child mode, Parent Mode, Lockdown Mode
- PIN protection, Block apps and games
- Set filters for web browsing, Timers
- In-app purchases for subscription options
Have you ever wondered how much your kids use their iDevice per day or week? The Moment – screen time app will automatically track the usage each day. It will also allow parents to see which apps are used the most, can set daily limits on screen time, view overall screen time stats for entire family, set alerts, logs how many times anyone picks up their iDevice, tracks where you go each day, breaks down the stats for each day, sound options and more. There are various in-app purchases for features, coach options and overall app usage and one of the best parental control apps for the iPhone and iPad.
- Monitor how long your family uses their iDevice each day
- See which apps are used the most
- Track and review the usage stats for each day
- Track where people go each day
- In-app purchases for features and subscriptions
Phew! will ensure that parents can breathe easier knowing their kids will only be allowed to view kid friendly videos on YouTube through this app. It will eliminate the possibility of finding inappropriate content, provides kid-friendly search results, has a simple interface, keeps track of online activity and session times, prevents kids from clicking on inappropriate YouTube ads and more. It’s a great app for parents who worry about what their kids watch on YouTube.
- A kid-friendly YouTube experience
- Eliminates searching for inappropriate content
- Blocks kids from clicking on YouTube ads
- Has a simple interface for kids to use
- Keeps track of online activity and session time