Are you looking for an app that can help your child's reading skills? Then this app is for you!
Vowel Stories for Beginning Readers teaches long and short vowel sounds a, e, i, o, and u (CVC pattern). The app was developed by fully credentialed teachers and aims to improve reading skills and help build confidence.
". . . for use with students in the emergent or beginning stages of reading. "
Voted Best App for Beginning Readers by iTeachHub!
"a simple and easy to use app that will support young or struggling readers as they begin to learn about decoding. The app is easy to use, with clear directions and simple controls."
4 star review from BestAppsforKids.com!
The app contains simple stories based on the long and short vowel sounds as well as sight words. This is an ideal app for children who are learning to read or who need to improve phonemic awareness (phonics), fluency (reading speed), and the recognition of letter sounds and common sight words.
Recognizing vowel sounds is a crucial part of learning to read. So get started today and start your child on a path to reading success by downloading Vowel Stories for Beginning Readers!
* Beginning readers
* Struggling readers up to age 8
* English-language learners
* Watch section – The app will read to the child while the animated story shows in the background.
* Read section – The child has the option of reading the story or tapping the screen to hear the sentence.
* Fluency information - Contains word and sentence count to help with fluency rates.
* Vocabulary (sight words) – Each story has a vocabulary section with important sight words where the child can tap and hear the pronunciation of the words.
* Words are highlighted as the app reads the sentences aloud.
* Animated scenes and characters for more interactivity.
* Stories are professionally narrated.
* Bonus printed worksheets are available via our website.
Parents and teachers in 45 countries have used this app to teach their children long and short vowel sounds. The app has been proven to:
1) Improve reading speed or fluency.
2) Increase the ability to recognize long and short vowel sounds.
3) Increase a child's understanding of rhymes and word families.
OTHER QUACKENWORTH READING APPS
- Vowel Stories for Beginning Readers: Flash Cards | Learn sight words, blends, and word families for kindergarten and first grade kids
- Read and Rhyme Early Learning Stories
- Beginning Writing for Kids | Learn how to write upper and lowercase letters and numbers 0-9
TEACHERS USING COMMON CORE STATE STANDARDS
Vowel Stories for Beginning Readers (VSBR) provides teachers with a resource that supports CCSS most directly in the area of Reading: Foundational Skills. Below are the specific standards that are supported.
Reading: Foundational Skills>Phonological Awareness> Kindergarten
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.K.2 Demonstrate understanding of spoken words, syllables, and sounds (phonemes).
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.K.2a Recognize and produce rhyming words.
Reading: Foundational Skills>Phonics and Word Recognition> Kindergarten
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.K.3 Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.K.3a Demonstrate basic knowledge of one-to-one letter-sound correspondences by producing the primary sound or many of the most frequent sounds for each consonant.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.K.3b Associate the long and short sounds with the common spellings (graphemes) for the five major vowels.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.K.3c Read common high-frequency words by sight (e.g., the, of, to, you, she).
Reading: Foundational Skills>Phonological Awareness>Grade 1
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.1.2 Demonstrate understanding of spoken words, syllables, and sounds (phonemes).