A crisis medical event, such as intubation of a neonatal patient, requires an accurate and rapid clinical response by clinicians when it occurs. Training clinicians to perform timely neonatal intubation is critical because prolonged or failed attempts at intubation increases the likelihood of complications. This App-based instruction provides on-demand access to comprehensive, evidence-based information designed to aid in the development and maintenance of clinical reasoning abilities for neonatal intubation. The content domain includes this information, as well as demonstration of procedural processes that comprise successful and accurate performance of neonatal intubation. These include an understanding of: Anatomy; Physiology; Health Metrics; Clinical Practices; Medications; Equipment, Instruments, and Supplies; and Procedural Practices. The instructional modules facilitate an understanding of the following content areas:
· Differences between the adult, pediatric, and neonatal airway anatomy and physiology.
· Normal action of respiration and the effect of altered, obstructed, inadequate, and cessation of respiration for neonatal patients.
· Indications and clinical conditions requiring airway management and intubation for neonatal patients.
· Drugs, dosages, indications for, administration routes, and medication time sequences for neonatal patients.
· Relevant health metrics for assessing physical and physiological status of neonatal patients.
· Step-by-step patient management strategy for neonatal patients requiring intubation.
· Selection of medical instruments and supplies for intubating neonatal patients.
· Relevant symptomology for performing a DDX, assessing clinical indicators for intubation.
· Evaluating clinical stability and treatment effects in neonatal patients.
The App includes interactive media-rich content with high-definition video and animations to illustrate essential conceptual aspects of anatomy, physiology, and both clinical and procedural patient management. It is strongly recommended that those using this App for instruction consider developing and maintaining hands-on clinical and procedural skills for neonatal intubation using a neonatal patient simulator. Simulation-based strategies for hands-on clinical and procedural training provide a reliable and efficacious platform for acquiring and maintaining abilities for crisis medical management.