Visual Approach is a flightpath simulator, training aid and touchdown distance calculator for airliners, designed for use on both iPhones and iPads.
● PAPI indications and vertical profile display are continuously updated for distance.
● Adjustable threshold crossing heights and angles
● Touchdown distance and landing gear position calculator
● Altimeter temperature errors simulated
● Fully configurable runway markings and lights
● Select either feet or metres for measurement.
● Current aircraft : Boeing 737-800, 747-400, 757-200, 767-300, 777-200, 777-300, 787-9 / Airbus A320, A330-300, A340-300, A350-900, A380.
Visual approach guidance indications are tailored to provide safe gear clearance for the most critical traffic at each airport. Differing pilot eye-heights and landing gear positions lead to variations on how these appear and what they mean to other aircraft, such that at a major airport frequented by large jets, a small aircraft will appear 'low' with reference to the precision approach path indicators when on the correct slope.
This app allows you to vary the aircraft flight path and the position of the PAPIs by way of Threshold Crossing Height and Slope Angle, and displays PAPI indications, flight deck forward views, aircraft vertical profile, gear position and touchdown distance. Hot and cold weather altimeter errors are also applied to the aircraft's approach profile, so you can see the effects of these at airports you're familiar with. The height display reference can be set to AAL, AMSL, eye height or radio altimeter (landing gear) height. The distance display can reference ILS/DME or distance from the threshold in nautical miles, meters or feet. You can configure the type and position of runway markings and the lighting set-up to simulate a particular runway.
This app's been put together by an airline pilot and is useful for anyone who's changing types or is interested in learning a little more about the factors influencing approach path indications, as well as those beginning their training in aviation or simply curious about these things.