“SHUEITAI TYPE SPECIMEN BOOK” is a Japanese leading typeface "SHUEITAI" e-book that recorded in the "Letterpress Samples Type Specimens."
It’s best for people:
・interested in Printing (letterpress printing in particular)
What is "SHUEITAI TYPE SPECIMEN BOOK"? :
- SHUEITAI is Japanese leading typeface that has been developed since the Meiji period (1868-1912). Mainly used in a Publications.
- In a 100-year history of SHUEITAI, its unique design was established in the late Meiji period. "SHUEITAI TYPE SPECIMEN BOOK" written in 1914 is valuable completion of the archive.
What is this font?:
- A sorts used in typesetting pre-war era carved manually each character in the opposite direction actual size. Great typeface was born because there were elaborate and highly skilled craftsmen.
- SHUEITAI Kana is especially classic suit. In letterpress printing era, the size of typeface = the way it used, therefore, big size fonts designed for eye-catching, and small one is designed primarily for readability. Even though it is typeface, there are rich variations of SHUEITAI.
- When this specimen book was created, rich culture was emerged one after another as spread of newspapers and media and modern publishing.
- It looks like the image of modern Japan, is it? Understanding of the typeface style 100 years ago, you may find a hint of design and publishing going to the next generation.