The Beatles by Hunter Davies (unabridged) was produced by Blackstone Audio and comes with what is perhaps the best audiobook app available (see below for features list).
The worldwide bestseller that defines the band that defined an era.
As the friend and only authorized biographer of the most famous musical group in history, Davies had full access to the Beatles as well as their help and encouragement in writing this biography. He spent eighteen months with them when they were at the peak of their musical genius and the pinnacle of their popularity, making a mark on history and popular culture that would never fade. Davies stayed on with the Beatles through their breakup and remained friends with the individual members afterwards, enabling him to write the continuing story of their solo careers.
First published in 1968, this newly revised edition has added information, including a new introduction.
Self-contained, this audiobook app is perfect for your commute, on a trip, or while relaxing. Based on a library-quality recording, this app was built especially for your iPhone and iPod Touch. No unreadable text, no endless scrolling. The audio is of higher-than-normal quality, making for a great listening experience that will not tire your ears or grate on your nerves.
NOTICE: This app includes the same 5-star recording that is available through other retailers for higher prices. It is unabridged and professionally recorded at Blackstone Audio by Edward Lewis. You are not buying yet another amateur or volunteer narration. No clicks, background noises, throat clearing, mispronunciations, tinny voices or monotones will be found here.
“His hard work and the obvious trust the Beatles have in him allow us to see the young musicians for the first time as interesting, fallible, corporeal creatures, each quite different from the others, each with his own history and hang-ups and hopes.” —Newsweek
• EXPERIENCE. About 17.5 hours of narration. Created as a Folium enhancedAudio™ edition, this book includes extra functions and features not found on lesser players.
• PLAYER CONTROLS. Includes listen (play), pause, multi-speed fast forward/reverse, jump ahead/back, chapter skip, volume control, one-touch chapter- and bookmark browser. There is also a “scrub” bar that finds any point inside the chapter with just a tap.
• SLEEP TIMER. Have you ever fallen asleep watching TV or listening to a book? If so, you'll love this feature. Once set, the book will stop, place a bookmark, and allow you to jump back to where you probably began dozing.
• CLEAR & ELEGANT DESIGN. Simple, clean, intuitive, and smarter than average.
• CHAPTER TIMINGS. Always know how much time it will take to finish a chapter. Plus, the progress bar at the top of the screen shows how far into the book you’ve come.
• OFFLINE LISTENING. You are airplane-ready! Once downloaded, listen uninterrupted without threat from a lost network connection. Downloads are usually just 5-10 minutes, but depend upon your network speed.
• AUTO-BOOKMARKING. The player remembers where you stopped listening and returns to that exact spot when you open the book again.
RATING: 12+ For some mature themes.
As their friend and only authorized biographer, Davies had full access to the Beatles when they were at the pinnacle of their popularity, making a mark on history and popular culture that would never fade.
“Though works on the band are legion, this remains one of the best.”—Library Journal