The Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary for iOS is the best kanji-learning tool available for electronic devices. Based on Jack Halpern’s world-renowned best-selling book The Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary, the long-awaited iOS edition is an easy-to-use electronic dictionary that fully satisfies the practical needs of beginning and intermediate learners.
The Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary for iOS covers 2,230 kanji characters, including Jōyō Kanji and Jinmei Kanji, and and gives learners quick access to all the benefits of the print edition, plus additional functionality made possible by the iOS platform, including quick and intuitive interfaces for looking up kanji by SKIP or by radical, the ability to toggle between kana and romaji display for readings, various additional ways to look up kanji or compounds (eg. by on and kun readings, English meaning, or SKIP number), animated stroke-order diagrams, context-sensitive pop-ups, and much more.
No kanji dictionary on the market today offers such a full range of features in such a stunning, user-friendly interface. No stone has been left unturned to create this high-quality application of superb design.
* core meanings that concisely define the most dominant sense of each character, giving the learner an instant grasp of a character's fundamental meaning
* the System of Kanji Indexing by Patterns (SKIP), which enables even complete beginners to locate characters with accuracy and speed
* 2,230 main entry characters and 31,300 words and word elements
* covers all high-frequency compounds based on frequency statistics compiled by the National Language Research Institute
* character meanings ordered in a manner that shows how each character contributes to the meanings of compound words
* animated stroke order diagrams for all 2,230 entry characters
* 7,200 character readings, including readings used only in names
* multiple search modes including kana, romaji, SKIP, radical, English meaning, and entry number
* useful appendixes on stroke counting, pronunciation, kana, and more
* intuitive interface for quickly looking up characters by SKIP or radicals
* tapping on any character or word jump to the relevant entry
* no Internet connection required
* history and bookmarks
The CJK Dictionary Institute is directed by Jack Halpern, editor of the New Japanese-English Character Dictionary and The Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary, now standard reference works.
Be sure to check out our other dictionary apps available for iOS (search for "cjki").