There are hundreds, if not more, of apps available for people who have been diagnosed with Alzheimer's, and for their caregivers. Some can help patients retain memories better, some are used to track and detect the progression of the disease, and some are cognitive training tools. The Alzheimer apps for caregivers can help explain the condition and tell loved ones what they might expect, help keep track of medications, and more. Here is a list of the best Alzheimer's disease apps for the iPad.
4 Apr 2021, by Cherry Mae Torrevillas
This is an Alzheimers app for iPad, a Unique Light, Sound & Cognitive Therapy for Alzheimer’s Disease and Dementia. AlzLife therapy app delivers a combination of 40Hz light therapy, 40Hz sound therapy, cognitive exercises, and a personalized Life Coach in a single, easy-to-use, convenient package.
- Use 40Hz light therapy alone or combine with 40Hz sound and brain games
- Your favorite cognitive games designed for people with low computer skills: Sudoku, Tic-Tac-Toe, Clocks, from very easy to challenging
- A personalized Life Coach that includes Guided Meditations, Exercises, Daily Planner, and more
The Alzheimer's Association Science Hub app provides the latest science news and expert viewpoints about research in Alzheimer's disease and related dementias. You will receive access to a full range of Alzheimer Association resources. Everything you need to know about Alzheimer's is right at your fingertips.
- Breaking news, viewpoints and perspectives from leaders at the Alzheimer's Association
- Intuitive and user-friendly interface
- Notifications will keep you up-to-date
- Highlight Section in the main screen
MindMate is the perfect app for those with Alzheimer's or some other dementia. It has reminder tools, games to help increase users' cognitive abilities, advice about exercise and nutrition, and information about dementia. It works well for those who suffer from dementia as well as those who care for someone who does. The goal is to help keep people as independent for as long as possible and to have fun doing it. The Tools section has a photo timeline tool; reminders for when to do daily chores like take pills, brush teeth, and eat; list-making applications; and more. There are eight different fun and interactive brain games.
- App for those suffering from Alzheimer's
- Good for those who care for dementia patients
- Eight different brain games
- Reminders for when to eat, brush teeth, take pills, and more
- Free Alzheimer's iPad app
Alzheimer's Disease Pocketcard was designed for doctors and health care professionals who care for Alzheimer's patients. It contains clinically relevant info on AD and tools that will help clinicians assess their patients and interview caregivers. It discusses the top 10 signs of AD, the latest info on detection, diagnosis, and management of the disease (both pharmacotherapeutic and non-pharmotherapueutic strategies), current diagnostic criteria, and more. It offers an index and full text search, education and support packets for patients and caregivers, and interactive tools. The app is a collaborative effort between Börm Bruchmeier and the Alzheimer's Association.
- Designed for doctors and healthcare professionals who treat Alzheimer's patients
- Contains clinically relevant info on the disease
- Tools to help assess patients
- Bookmarking and notes capability
- Top 10 signs of Alzheimer's disease
Peak is a brain-training app with more than 30 games designed to challenge cognitive skills. Developed by neuroscientists, this app offers short daily workouts and personalized games that will adapt to each user's skill level and help track progress using in-depth performance analytics. The free games challenge your creativity, emotion control, mental agility, problem solving, attention, memory, and language. You can compete with friends to see who can get the best score! This is the free version; in-app purchases give more features like advanced tracking capabilities.
- Games designed to challenge cognitive skills
- Developed by neuroscientists
- Short daily workouts and games
- Challenge your creativity, emotion control, mental agility, problem solving, memory, and more
- Free with in-app purchases to upgrade
The Spaced Retrieval Therapy app uses spaced retrieval training to help those with dementia to recall important information. Recalling an answer over increasing intervals of time helps to solidify the information in a person's memory. The app works as a timer and offers independent data tracking and prompts. The app will increase the time between prompts when a person answers correctly, and decreases it when he or she provides an incorrect answer. This allows health care professionals, students, and family members keep track of the person's performance and intervals.
- Uses spaced retrieval training to help people recall important information
- Recall an answer over increasing intervals of time with each correct answer
- Helps cement information into people's memory
- Helps caregivers and health care providers keep track of the user's intervals and performance
- Works as a timer, prompter, and data tracker
Amyloids is a game designed to help Alzheimer’s patients. It’s created by the leading UK Alzheimer’s Research charity and also has an opportunity for users to send donations through the app. This game helps with critical thinking skills, focus and other mental faculties. The app has a simple interface and design, which makes it easier for anyone to use. View stats and choose from campaign play or quick play. This game is also a great for others to understand the challenges of research, raising funds and the actual physical part of fighting dementia.
- An Alzheimer’s iPad game
- Replicate the struggle of research and awareness
- Fight off the proteins that cause dementia
- Quick play, Campaign Play, Stats
- Donate to a great cause
Alzheimer's & Other Dementias Daily Companion is an app developed by Home Instead Senior Care and is meant to give caregivers the confidence to offer care to their loved ones so those afflicted with Alzheimer's and other dementias can live at home for longer. Users have access to tips and advice covering behaviors and situations they will have to deal with on a day-to-day basis. There is a search function as well. There are over 500 tips and solutions; it's a companion piece to the book titled “Confidence to Care.” Users may also share their own advice.
- Free tips and advice
- 24-hour caregiving assistance via email or phone
- Offline access to tips and solutions
- Rating system for caregivers
- Free iPad app for Alzheimer’s
This app was designed so Precision Medicine organization can use the data donated by users in Alzheimer's research initiatives. The app uses HealthKit and integrates with the Health app to build a database of Alzheimer's and dementia research. Users get to choose baseline Health app data they wish to share and the app creates standardized files users can then email to any Precision Medicine Alzheimer's disease projects they want. The app doesn't collect, store, or perform any analysis of the data.
- Designed for Precision Medicine Alzheimer's research initiatives
- Collects mobile health data
- Leverages HealthKit and integrates with the Health App
- The app creates standardized files that the user can then donate for research use
- Users must grant permission for access to HealthKit fields like body measurements, vitals, sex, and age
Nudgu allows you to record reminders in advance. The message is delivered to the person’s home phone with your voice. Remind your loved one or person you’re caring for to take medication, say hello, or leave a short message. You will get a notification back saying the message was received. This is a great app because even if you get too busy to make the reminder call yourself, the app won’t forget. Once you’ve created the reminder, the app’s serves handle the rest, so if your phone dies or is out of range, the reminder is still sent. Nudge messages do not use your cellular phone minutes. All users will get 30 days of free messages and then there is an in-app subscription to continue service. Right now the app works in the U.S. and UK.
- Send a reminder to your loved one
- Record your message and it gets sent to their home phone
- Record reminders in advance
- Works even when your phone is off
- Get notifications that your reminder was received