We present an electronic version of the printed map of Stockholm, which was published by the cartographic publishing house Discus Media.
The edition contains a map of Stockholm (scale 1:15 000), enlarged maps of the Gamla Stan (the Old City) and a maps of Djurgarden with its Skansen park. It also contains a map of the Arlanda airport.
The maps of the city feature names and borders of city areas, sights, and transport system. Many objects, which are of interest to tourists, are marked and inscribed. The most interesting buildings are shown as 3-D pictures.
The maps of suburbs feature the road network and sights which are out of town. The edition also contains a map of the underground.
In this edition you will find an index of streets in Swedish, a list of hotels and main sights (palaces, castles, museums, temples, theaters, etc.) in Swedish and Russian. The maps are bilingual.
Printed editions have something magical, something that does not exist in their electronic equivalents. They were created by living people, who labored over each centimeter of the map, they were not created by robots. We decided to combine these achievements of the print editions with the new possibilities of contemporary electronic platforms.
Our app is not intended as a replacement for GPS navigators, Apple Maps, GоogleMaps, YandexMaps, etc. This is why you can transit from any map section to a corresponding section of a service of your choosing (Apple Maps, Gоogle Maps, YandexMaps) and back again.
Highlights of the app:
1. You can work offline.
2. You can navigate your way to any desired map section through the traditional index map or simply by turning pages.
3. You have the ability to magnify individual parts of a map, bookmark interesting pages, search by street names, underground stations, railway stations, sights, etc.
4. You have the ability to add your own information to the map (comments, addresses, telephone numbers – including the ability to dial directly from within the app).
5. When online, you can transit from any map section to a corresponding section of a service of your choosing (Apple Maps, Gоogle Maps, YandexMaps) and back again.
The advantages of the electronic version of the map:
- It does not bend, tear or become lost at the most inopportune moment.
- The ease with which you can search, magnify and examine details, add notes and additional information – utilizing the power and features of today’s devices.
- It has something magical, something that does not exist in its electronic equivalents. The map was created by living people, who labored over each centimeter of the map, it was not created by robots. And it has all possibilities of contemporary electronic platforms (smartphones, tablets and other gadgets).
The quality and art of traditional paper maps is being replaced by much less attractive automated digital maps. Our app brings these excellent paper maps into the mobile age, helping to ensure they continue to provide you with both knowledge and enjoyment – it would be a tragedy if they were relegated only to libraries, inaccessible to most people. We want to give a second life to paper maps. This app is for people who love good old printed maps and want to go with the times.