What is a Nakiri Knife and What Makes it Different from Other Knives?
A Nakiri knife is a traditional Japanese-style vegetable knife that is specifically designed for preparing vegetables. Unlike other knives, the Nakiri has a straight blade edge that makes it easy to chop and dice vegetables in a single, swift motion.
The unique design of a Nakiri knife allows for a more efficient and precise cutting motion, making it an indispensable tool for any home cook or professional chef.
Key Features to Consider When Choosing a Nakiri Knife
When shopping for a Nakiri knife, there are several key features to consider to ensure that you find the right one for your needs. These include:
- Blade Material: The material of the blade will determine the knife's durability, sharpness, and ease of maintenance. High-quality Nakiri knives are typically made from stainless steel or carbon steel.
- Blade Length: The length of the blade will impact the size of the vegetables you can prepare with the knife, as well as your cutting style and comfort. Nakiri knives typically range in length from 6 to 7 inches.
- Handle Material: The handle should be comfortable to grip and provide a secure hold. Popular handle materials include wood, plastic, and composite materials.
- Weight: The weight of the knife will impact the ease and comfort of use. Some Nakiri knives are heavier, while others are lighter. Consider your personal preferences and the tasks you'll be using the knife for when choosing the right weight.
The Nakiri has a straight blade edge that is ideal for slicing through vegetables in a single, clean motion. This type of knife is characterized by its sharp, straight blade which is typically made from carbon steel or stainless steel, and its handle, which is made from materials such as wood, plastic, or resin. There are several different types of Nakiri knives available on the market, each with its own unique features and benefits.
One popular type of Nakiri knife is the single-bevel Nakiri, which features a blade that is sharpened on one side only. This type of knife is ideal for those who want precise control when slicing vegetables, as the single-bevel design makes it easy to make clean cuts.
Another type of Nakiri knife is the double-bevel Nakiri, which features a blade that is sharpened on both sides. This type of knife is great for those who want a more versatile knife that can be used for a variety of tasks, including slicing, dicing, and mincing.
There are also different types of Nakiri knives based on the type of steel used in the blade. For example, there are Nakiri knives made from high-carbon steel, which is known for its sharpness and durability, as well as Nakiri knives made from stainless steel, which is rust-resistant and easy to maintain.
In addition, there are also Nakiri knives made from a combination of different materials, such as a carbon steel blade with a wooden handle, which provides a balance of performance and comfort.
Best Nakiri Knife: Our Top Picks
Nakiri knives are a versatile and essential tool for anyone who enjoys preparing fresh vegetables. Whether you are a professional chef or a home cook, there is a Nakiri knife out there that will meet your needs and help you create delicious, healthy meals.
Read on to find out our best picks.
Best Overall: Global 7" Vegetable Knife
The GLOBAL knife proved to be the standout in the initial sharpness test, with its razor-sharp blade slicing through the competition. This impressive edge was evident throughout the testing process, making it a top pick for both big and small prep tasks.
With its balanced weight, it's easy to handle for extended periods, making it ideal for demanding kitchen tasks. The high-tech molybdenum/vanadium stainless steel construction of the blade ensures its durability and is lightweight, making it easy to clean and maintain.
However, the knife's bolsterless, dimpled steel handle may not be as comfortable to grip as other handles made of wood or plastic, and it doesn't offer the same visual appeal as these materials. Nevertheless, the GLOBAL knife's exceptional sharpness and ease of use make it a top contender for anyone looking for a high-quality kitchen knife.
The GLOBAL knife combines innovative materials, excellent knife features, and sleek design to create a top-performing kitchen tool. With a range of handle options and a lifetime warranty, this knife is built to last and make your cooking experience easier and more efficient. Whether you are a professional chef or a home cook, the GLOBAL knife is a must-have addition to your kitchen.
- Blade made from high-tech molybdenum/vanadium stainless steel for durability and lightweight design.
- Silver color for a sleek and modern look.
- High carbon steel knives.
- Stainless-steel Handle.
- Molded, dimpled stainless-steel handle for a secure grip.
- Plain blade edge for versatile cutting tasks.
- Lifetime warranty for added peace of mind.
- Razor-sharp blade, proven to be the standout in initial sharpness tests.
- Ideal for big and small prep tasks.
- Balanced weight for easy handling.
- Durable and lightweight construction made from high-tech molybdenum/vanadium stainless steel.
- Easy to clean and maintain.
- Sleek and modern design with silver color.
- Range of handle options, including high-carbon and molded, dimpled stainless steel for a secure grip.
- Versatile plain blade edge for multiple cutting tasks.
- Lifetime warranty for added peace of mind.
- Bolsterless, dimpled steel handle may not be as comfortable as wood or plastic handles.
- Dimpled steel handle may not offer the same visual appeal as other handle materials.
- May not be suitable for everyone's personal preferences and needs.
Runner-Up: Mac Knife Japanese Series Vegetable Cleaver
The MAC knife is a work of art, expertly crafted by professional Japanese craftsmen using only the finest Japanese products. Every step of the knife-making process is performed in Japan, ensuring the highest level of quality and precision. The double-beveled design makes it an ideal choice for slicing and chopping fruits and vegetables, allowing you to create thin sheets with ease.
The balanced design and comfortable handle make it a pleasure to use, whether you are a professional cook or a home chef. However, it should not be used for heavy cleaving tasks, as it is not designed for that purpose. The MAC knife is a precision tool that will bring a touch of Japanese craftsmanship to your kitchen.
- Blade thickness: 2.5mm.
- Handle material: Pakka Wood Handle, Steel.
- Made of high-quality MOLYBDENUM STEEL.
- Blade edge: Straight edged.
- Made in Japan.
- Hand wash recommended, not dishwasher safe.
- Expertly crafted by professional Japanese craftsmen.
- Each step of the knife-making process is performed in Japan using only the finest Japanese products.
- Razor-sharp edges, comfortable handles, and a balanced design.
- A popular choice among professional cooks and cooking enthusiasts globally.
- Ideal for slicing and chopping fruits and vegetables, perfect for creating thin sheets.
- Can also be used for meats and seafood.
- Not designed for heavy cleaving tasks.
Premium Pick: Toijro DP Damascus
Toijro DP Damascus is a precision tool, designed and crafted to meet the demanding needs of professional chefs and home cooks alike. Its technical features are a testament to its superior quality and performance.
This Nakiri Knife is designed to impress with its agility, sharpness, and striking appearance. Equally, as agile and sharp as the Tojiro A-1, this knife is well-balanced with a slightly thicker spine, providing added control during use. The layered look of the blade is eye-catching, adding to its visual appeal.
This Nakiri Knife boasts a range of impressive technical features that set it apart from the rest. The handle is made from high-quality stainless steel and features three sturdy stainless steel rivets, providing a comfortable and stable grip. The blade itself is forged from 37 layers of both low-carbon and high-carbon stainless steel, resulting in a striking layered appearance and exceptional durability. With its plain blade edge and ergonomic handle design, this Nakiri Knife is a top-performing kitchen tool that is sure to impress.
- Handle Material: Stainless Steel.
- Blade Edge: Plain.
- Micarta handle with three stainless steel rivets for added stability and comfort.
- Forging of 37 layers of both low carbon and high carbon stainless steel for a stunning layered appearance and enhanced durability.
- Comparable agility and sharpness to the Tojiro A-1.
- Slightly thicker spine and weightier balance for added control.
- Striking layered appearance of the blade.
- Effortlessly slices through a variety of produce, including sweet potatoes, tomatoes, and bell peppers.
- A pricey option.
Professional Option: Shun Cutlery Classic Nakiri Knife 6.5"
The Shun Classic 6.5-inch Nakiri Knife is a classic Japanese-style vegetable knife, highly favored by professional chefs and cooking enthusiasts alike. It is designed specifically for preparing fruits and vegetables with precision and ease.
The knife boasts of a unique construction, featuring a proprietary VG-MAX cutting core that is sheathed in 68 layers of stainless Damascus. This construction provides exceptional strength, sharpness, and resistance to corrosion and stains, making it a versatile and reliable tool in the kitchen.
Inspired by ancient Japanese traditions, the Shun Classic Nakiri Knife is handcrafted by highly skilled artisans. Each blade is crafted with the utmost care and attention to detail, resulting in a knife that is not only functional but also visually stunning.
Whether you are a seasoned chef or a cooking enthusiast, the Shun Classic Nakiri Knife is an essential addition to your kitchen, offering unparalleled quality, beauty, and performance.
- Black color for a sleek and modern look.
- Ebony color PakkaWood® handle for a comfortable grip.
- Plain 6.5-inch blade edge for versatile cutting tasks.
- 68 layers of stainless Damascus for durability and a strong, razor-sharp edge.
- Suitable for both left- and right-handed users.
- Classic Japanese-style vegetable knife.
- Precision and ease in preparing fruits and vegetables.
- Unique construction with VG-MAX cutting core sheathed in 68 layers of stainless Damascus.
- Exceptional strength, sharpness, and resistance to corrosion and stains.
- Handcrafted by highly skilled artisans, resulting in a knife that is both functional and visually stunning.
- An essential addition to the kitchen for unparalleled quality, beauty, and performance.
- None that we could find.
All-In-One Pick: Regalia Nakiri (Usuba) Vegetable Chef Knife
This professional kitchen masterpiece is made from the best materials known to man. It is forged with an authentic Japanese AUS-10 "Super-Steel" cutting core to make sure it is flexible and keeps its edge as long as possible without becoming dull or chipping. The 66 layers of high-carbon stainless Damascus steel cladding make it look good and protect it from rusting and corrosion.
The angles of this blade are the pinnacle of design and show how Nakiri knives have changed over thousands of years. Using the traditional 3-step Honbazuke method, this blade has been polished to a mirror finish at an angle of between 8 and 12 degrees on each side. This knife's straight, squared blade is great for chopping and scooping, making it faster and easier to use.
The ergonomic G-10 handle is made for the military and is resistant to cold, heat, and water. Not porous and hard to stain. This bolster makes it easy to sharpen the whole blade, all the way down to the heel. The best knuckle clearance lets you use the tool without your knuckles getting in the way.
- Made from high-quality materials, including an authentic Japanese AUS-10 "Super-Steel". cutting core and 66 layers of high-carbon stainless Damascus steel cladding.
- Flexible and keeps its edge for a long time without becoming dull or chipping.
- Angles of the blade are designed for optimal performance and have been polished to a mirror finish.
- Straight, squared blade makes chopping and scooping easier and faster.
- Ergonomic G-10 handle is made for military use and is resistant to cold, heat, and water, and non-porous.
- Bolster allows for easy sharpening of the entire blade.
- Knuckle clearance allows for easy use without interference.
- Limited information on blade edge (plain) and handle material (stainless steel only).
- Blade length is 6 inches only, which may not be suitable for everyone's preference.
Easy To Use: WÜSTHOF Classic 7" Hollow Edge Nakiri Knife
This was the only blade that had grooves along its length, which kept tomato slices and shallot pieces from sticking to it. During the sweet potato test, however, it met a lot of resistance and tore.
The Classic Series knives from WÜSTHOF are made from a single block of High Carbon Stainless Steel that has been heated to 58 degrees HRC. The Precision Edge Technology (PEtec) makes blades that are 20% sharper and keep their edges for twice as long as older models.
7" Hollow Edge Nakiri with full tang triple-riveted synthetic polypropylene handles that resist fading, discoloration, heat, and impact. Since the early 1900s, the WÜSTHOF Classic Series has been our most popular line.
- Brand: Wüsthof.
- Blade Material: Stainless Steel.
- Color: Black, Stainless Steel.
- Blade Edge: Plain.
- Handle Material: Stainless Steel, Polypropylene.
- Grooves along the blade prevent tomato slices and shallot pieces from sticking.
- Made from a single block of high carbon stainless steel heated to 58 degrees HRC.
- Precision Edge Technology (PEtec) makes blades 20% sharper and keeps their edges for twice as long.
- 7" Hollow Edge Nakiri with full tang triple-riveted synthetic polypropylene handles that resist fading, discoloration, heat, and impact.
- Popular line with a long history (since the early 1900s).
- Tore during the sweet potato test, indicating resistance during use.
Best Budget: FINDKING Dynasty Series Japanese Nakiri Knife
This 7 inch Nakiri Knife from FINDKING is a must-have for any home cook or professional chef. Made with a durable alloy steel blade, this knife is built to last. The 9Cr18MoV high carbon steel blade is perfect for slicing and dicing vegetables, fruits, fish, and meats with ease.
The African rosewood octagonal handle adds a touch of sophistication and comfort to this knife. The plain blade edge provides a clean, precise cut, making this knife the ideal tool for all your culinary creations. Whether you're a seasoned chef or just starting out, this knife is sure to become a staple in your kitchen.
Introducing the DYNASTY SERIES HANDLE - a beautifully crafted piece made from premium African rosewood. Designed to add both aesthetic appeal and comfort to the user, this handle boasts unparalleled stability, allowing for full control and manipulation of the blade.
With a Rockwell hardness rating of 60+/-2, this handle is made from durable steel that can hold an angled edge, prolonging the life of your knife with proper maintenance. The clad dimple design also promotes easy food release, making it ideal for slicing and dicing vegetables, fruits, fish, and meats with ease.
- Blade Material: Alloy Steel.
- 7 inch Nakiri Knife.
- Handle Material: Alloy Steel.
- Blade Edge: Plain.
- Professional Vegetable Cleaver.
- 9Cr18MoV High Carbon Steel Blade.
- African Rosewood Octagonal Handle.
- Comfortable handle.
- Great balance.
- Sharp and efficient blade - a very sharp knife.
- Incredible look.
- Not the most professional option.
Great For Cutting Vegetables: MITSUMOTO SAKARI 7 inch Japanese Nakiri Chef Knife
The Nakiri chef knife has three layers of high-quality 9CR18MOV high-carbon steel that have been precisely quenched and treated with cold nitrogen in a vacuum. It makes the metal much more resistant to corrosion, prevents rust, and makes it tougher. It can be as hard as 582HRC. When cutting, the 2.8mm ultra-thin, the sharp blade can keep fruits and vegetables at their best and meat at its most delicious.
The valuable summer sourwood wood from Southeast Asia is used to make the high-carbon knife from Japan. And it has an ergonomically designed, balanced octagonal wood handle that reduces wrist tension and gives you a lot of freedom to change the angle at which you cut while giving you a firm, comfortable grip.
- Blade Material: stainless steel knives.
- Handle: Wooden.
- Handle Material: Stainless Steel.
- Blade Edge: 3-layer laminated steel.
- Professional Multipurpose Asian Chef Knife.
- Optimal price.
- Gift Box included.
- Traditional style.
- The weight might be too heavy for beginners.
Editor’s Choice: DALSTRONG Nakiri Vegetable Knife - 7"
Finished by hand to 15° on each side with the Honbazuke method for a "scalpel"-like edge. Nitrogen-cooled to make it hard and flexible. Titanium Nitride is a coating that doesn't reflect light and makes things stronger, more resistant to corrosion, and less likely to stick.
The ergonomic, fiber-resin, and military-grade G10 handle is nearly immune to heat, cold, and moisture. It is midnight black in color. The shape of the handle makes it easy to keep a firm hold on it. The handle is set at an angle to give your knuckles room to move on the cutting board.
High-carbon 7CR17MOV-X supersteel that has been heated in a vacuum at 58+ HRC to make it work better and keep its edge longer. Each blade comes with a black sheath that saves space and matches the blade.
- Color: Black Titanium Nitride Coated.
- Feature: Vacuum Treated Steel.
- Blade Material Titanium.
- Item Dimensions: 7 x 0.07 x 2.2 inches.
- Blade Edge: Plain.
- NSF Certified.
- Scalpel-like edge.
- Great design.
- Offset handle for knuckle clearance.
- Not the most durable blade.
Best Nakiri Knife: Our Conclusions
Even though all of these options are good, the best Nakiri knives are the ones that fit your budget, cooking skills, and goals. If you're not sure what you want, you might have to try out a few of them to see how they feel and how easy they are to use.
Even if you want to get into a routine, finding the best Japanese Nakiri knife may be a one-cut-at-a-time journey of discovery.
With all of this information in mind, do you feel like you can choose the best Japanese knives for your home kitchen? We sure do hope so.