Perhaps, you’ve been trying to quit smoking for a while now without much success, or maybe this is a new goal you’ve set for yourself and are looking for the best way to go about it. Regardless of your reasons, motivation, or the length of time you’ve been trying quitting smoking is no easy task. This is exactly why we’ve put together a list of apps that can help you achieve your goal. You may find that just one of these works for you, or it could be that a combination of these apps end up being the best route for you.
The best iPhone apps for quitting smoking
3 Jun 2016, by Cherry Mae Torrevillas
If you are looking for a simple program that you can follow along with, then that's what you'll find in the Quit Pro app. This app is filled with over 100 motivational messages that are meant to help you during those times you're feeling vulnerable. You can use this app to set up your goal and then each day you stay smoke-free you'll get to see how it helps your health. There are 20 different health statuses that will be displayed, and you will likely be quite amazed at just how your body is being affected. There are notifications, a Widget for the app, you can input your official quitting date, share your successes on social networks, and more.
- Key in your official quitting date
- View interesting facts and information about smoking and how it affects you
- View how each day your health status is improving while you remain smoke free
- Share your successes on social media
- There is a widget for the app
If you've heard of Allen Carr and his method to quit smoking, then there's a good chance you've been eyeing his books. Well, now you can get the digital version of the program with the Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking app. The app features an 80 minute video that can help you change the way you think and go about quitting. This program can be used by all types of smokers whether you just smoke occasionally, are a chain smoker, or are somewhere in between. The program is designed to make quitting as easy and painless as possible, which is an attractive concept. Carr takes a look at taking away a person’s dependence on cigarettes.
- This app can be used by all types of smokers
- It contains an 80 minute video of Allen Carr’s approach
- Carr attempts to break your dependence on cigarettes
- The program is meant to be easy and painless
- It is easy to understand
One way people are attempting to kick the habit is through massage. The Stop Smoking Instantly With Chinese Massage Points app is a great option if you're thinking of this route. This is a free app that allows you to try the various massage points that have been found to help with quitting. Follow along with HD photos or videos and then make use of the reminders so you can remember to massage those pressure points regularly. The app takes you through a 10 day period of massages and then you can start over again. This method could be used in conjunction with others as well.
- The app is free to download
- Follow a 10 massage plan
- Get reminders so you don’t forget to massage the pressure points
- There are HD photos and videos to take you through the steps
- This program can be used with others
Rewards can act as a huge motivating factor in life so why not apply that concept to quitting smoking. The myQuitTime Free app is all about rewarding yourself by quitting using the money you have saved. Think about how much you spend on a weekly/monthly basis on cigarettes? It adds up pretty fast. In this app you will set up a shopping list or a wish list and, as you save enough, you can purchase an item. There is also more to the app such as the motivational help it offers and the fact you'll get updates on how your health is improving as you stay smoke-free.
- Create a shopping list of rewards you want to buy as you save enough money
- Keep track of the money you have saved by not smoking so you know when you can afford an award
- There are motivational messages
- You can get updates on how your health is improving each day
- Track your quitting statistics
Not everyone is just able to quit cold-turkey, for some smokers it's a longer process and that's perfectly fine. The Slow Stop app has been created for those who are looking to quit but want to do it in a slower more controlled manner. The program is very easy to follow and takes place over a 60 day time period. It can be used by anyone from the chain smoker to the social smoker. A calendar timer type of program is used to help you along and seems to be getting quite a bit of positive reaction from users.
- The program is 60 days in length
- Any smoker can use this no matter how often or how little they smoke
- The app uses a calendar timer concept
- The program is very easy to understand
- It’s ideal for those who want to take a slower approach
Sometimes, it's more than just smoking you're trying to quit and that's why the Quit That! app comes in handy. Use this app to quit smoking or any other bad habit by tracking items. You can be quitting a variety of items at once, there are no limits here. The app supports the Apple Watch too, so you can also keep track of your statistics. There are no ads in the app and it's very easy to use. You'll be able to view the amount of minutes, hours, days, weeks, and years since you quit, as well as the money saved. It’s quite empowering to see this information.
- The app allows you to track the habits you are trying to quit such as smoking
- Track multiple bad habits at once
- The app supports the Apple Watch
- See how much money you’ve saved
- View the minutes, hours, days, week, and years since you quit
Hypnosis can be a wonderful technique to use when trying to rid yourself of a bad habit, which is exactly why the Stop Smoking with Hypnosis and Meditation by Erick Brown app exists. The app is said to make the process easier and faster than tackling it on your own. You've got a variety of ways to customize the app, hypnosis is said to make the process much easier and quicker, it can help you with your cravings, there is an alarm clock built in, a playlist you can create, and more. There are a variety of in-app purchases that allow you to customize the experience further.
- The app can help you quit a variety of bad habits
- There is a built-in alarm clock
- You can set up your own playlist
- The app can help you control your cravings
- There are in-app purchases to customize the experience
If you're ready to put an end to your smoking then it's time to check out the Butt Out app. This one is priced well below a carton of cigarettes, so right there it justifies the price tag. There are motivational quotes and pictures to use, you can track your statistics, set the date you want to quit by, and more. View real-time details on how much money you have saved since quitting, how your health has improved, and get reminders throughout the day. There is also an online community available through the app so you can chat with others going through the same cravings as you.
- Track how much money you have saved
- Track your health stats in real-time
- Chat with community members to help keep you motivated
- There are motivational photos and quotes
- Set your quitting date
If you're ready to kick the habit of smoking for once and for all then there's a good chance you're looking for a little assistance. The Kwit app has been designed to help you be successful with your goal by making it seem like a game. Instead of boring you with facts and information about how bad smoking is for you, since you are already well aware of that, the app is all about fun. You'll be working to unlock achievements and rank high. Everything is based on how long you've gone since your last cigarette and how much money you've saved.
- The app is designed to feel like a game
- The longer you go without a cigarette the higher the points
- The more money you save the higher the points
- Unlock achievements
- There are motivational quotes to help you along
If you feel like you could use some support from others as you try to quit smoking then the iQuitter app could be a great option. Through this app you will be able to connect with a group of others who just like you are trying to quit smoking. You've got the option of creating your very own private group or you can join a group that already exists. Just as others are helping you, you’ll be able to give back and help them through their struggles. The app keeps your identity anonymous so you can feel free to vent and discuss anything you want about your quitting experience. If you find yourself in need of help fast, just tap on the red button, which means you are in a "crisis" situation and people will be able to respond fast.
- Get emotional support from others trying to quit smoking
- Create your own support group or join one
- Broadcast a message to all the members
- If you need help fast, hit the red button
- The app keeps your identity anonymous