Medical students and medical professionals need to be able to have reference guides, tools, and educational materials available to them. With that said, the idea of carrying around a heavy text book isn’t exactly ideal. The following is a list of apps that discuss the human anatomy and can act as both a learning tool and that quick reference guide you need from time to time.
The best iPhone apps for anatomy
4 Feb 2017, by Cherry Mae Torrevillas
This app is one of the best anatomy apps for the iOS and any other mobile platform. It’s comprehensive information and 3D anatomy is second to none. There are over 5,000 anatomy objects and health conditions, fluid controls for viewing and zooming, select and dissect objects, audio support, add or remove layers, quizzing, share models, sync customized models, read detailed descriptions, toggle labels on and off, take screenshots and annotate, great for students or medical personnel and more. This highly touted app has in-app purchases for various subscription options.
- Comprehensive anatomy app with interactive 3D displays
- Over 5,000 anatomy objects and health conditions
- Fluid touch controls, Add or remove layers
- Screenshots and annotate, Sync or share models
- In-app purchases for subscription options
This is the free version of X-anatomy and has some limitations to its content. This app can be used by students, teachers, medical personnel and other related niches. It includes hundreds of images of actual human patients, detailed anatomic notes about muscles and other structures, liver segment, various cancers, color-coded index of anatomic structures, body localizer function and more. You can upgrade to the paid version for more features and content.
- Great app for students and medical personnel
- Hundreds of images of real patients
- Detailed anatomic notes, Color coded structures
- Body localizer feature, Info on cancers
- Upgrade to paid version for more content and features
For those in the medical field, including students, the Essential Anatomy 5 app can prove to be a very useful tool to have on hand. This one is incredibly accurate and features more than 8,200 structures for users to study and learn about. This one is known as a handy reference and medical study tool and is one of the top grossing medical apps in many countries. Users will be treated to breathtaking graphics that make it possible to view even the smallest of details. The user interface is simple and smooth so you can focus on the content.
- This is one of the most successful medical apps around the world
- The graphics are breathtaking and show the smallest of details
- The user interface is simple and streamlined
- This is a handy reference and medical study tool
- The app features more than 8,200 structures
Essential Anatomy 3 app review: a valuable medical tool
Are you looking for a pocket guide to the human anatomy? The Anatomy pocket app is a reference app that provides users with a quick and simple way to learn about the anatomy. This one offers 285 fully annotated images that include the lower limb, upper limb, dorsal trunk wall, neck and chest, head and neck, abdominal cavity and viscera, and more. The app makes use of effective techniques in order to help users memorize the content and everything has been cross-referenced and indexed. The search tool makes the app even easier to use so you aren't wasting time on content that isn't relative to you.
- This is a handy pocket guide
- Make use of the search tool, which saves you time and hassle
- All content has been cross-referenced and indexed
- The app offers 285 fully annotated images
Have you been wanting to learn about the musculo-skeletal system for your schooling, your practice, or maybe just out of interest? If so the Muscle & Bone Anatomy 3D app can give you a way to do so. Using this app you'll be able to learn all about the body in a variety of ways. There are accurate and detailed 3D models, actions, a viewer, media, and six different kinds of quizzes. This app is described as a digital learning system, which is accurate and paints a clear picture of what to expect. The interactive elements can help users to understand the content even better.
- A digital learning experience
- There are interactive elements to help users learn
- Learn through 3D models, actions, a viewer, media, and quizzes
- This can be used by students, medical professionals, and those with an interest in the human anatomy
Muscle & Bone Anatomy 3D app review: an amazing reference for anyone interested in the human musculoskeletal system
If you are familiar with the Gray's Anatomy textbook then you won't want to miss out on the Gray’s Anatomy for Students for iPad app. This one has been designed to be easy to use of course as well as easy to read. You'll find more than 1,000 full-color illustrations, anatomy texts, and more. What's great is that the content builds upon itself as you go so it makes sense when you read it in order. Features include a searchable index, labels you can turn off or on, zoomable illustrations, a note-taking function, and the ability to save images. You can index your notes, too. The app covers your body, abdomen, back, lower limb, thorax, and more.
- A digital version of the popular textbook
- There are more than 1,000 full-color illustrations
- The app features a searchable index
- Make notes and index them
If you don't want to be bogged down by heavy medical books then you can take a look at the Pocket Anatomy app, which may just provide you with all the reference material you need. There is more than 100,000 words worth of anatomical information and you will have access to a full 3D female and male body. What makes this app convenient is the fact all content is stored in the app; in other words, there is no need for an Internet connection. The content is engaging, interactive, and you have the ability to add your own notes. There are quizzes you can take to test your knowledge and the intuitive navigation makes it all the easier to use.
- There is a complete 3D female and male body
- Take quizzes to test your knowledge
- There is no need for an Internet connection
If you're looking for a map of the body and a way to learn about its inner workings, the Human Anatomy Atlas app can be a great place to start. This medical reference tool features a 3D atlas of both the female and male body. You'll find more than 4,600 structures detailed here. All the models can be shared with others and you can even edit them. All of the animations and models have been created by biomedical visualization experts so you know you're getting high quality content. The search tool can make finding what you want quick and easy.
- There are more than 4,600 structures detailed
- Access the 3D atlas of the female and male body
- Models can be edited and then shared with others
- There is a search tool that makes the app easier to use
- This one acts as a medical reference tool
Human Anatomy Atlas app review: covers more than 3,800 structures throughout the human body
Medical students have plenty of information they need to learn and understand so any extra help is usually welcome. The Skeleton Anatomy Atlas app can act as a wonderful reference tool for students as it offers more than 700 3D models, all of which are free. Even medical professionals in the field can make use of this one instead of having to refer to a big and cumbersome book. Think of this one as a 3D atlas of the body and you have the ability to move around the model and zoom in and out. You can make notes, share screenshots, and even take quizzes.
- There are 700 3D models to examine
- You can move around the models and zoom in and out
- There are quizzes to test your knowledge
- This is a great educational tool for students or a quick reference guide for professionals
The Physiology Animations app is a collection of high-quality animations that take users through all the complexities of the human body. These videos bring the content to life and users will get 11 animations for free. Learn about red blood cells, bone repair, types of cells, muscle tissue types, breathing, heart function, and more. Should you want to learn more you can always unlock additional content. All of the videos have voice-over text so that you get a complete learning experience. As for the user interface you’ll be able to navigate this one quickly and with ease to find what you’re looking for.
- Users get 11 animations for free and can unlock additional ones
- This is a complete learning experience
- The videos feature voice-over text
- The user interface is smooth and without confusing menus and options