As a parent, we want to keep our children safe at all times. And, this also includes keeping them safe on the Internet. With so much unsafe, dangerous and unhealthy content on the Internet, it’s become even harder to protect kids from it all. Fortunately, there are some wonderful apps that will help parents keep a better eye on what their kids see. Our list of apps has everything covered from monitoring internet browsing to exclusive kid friendly content.
The best parental control apps for the iPhone and iPad
4 Feb 2017, by Rick Rockwell
This powerful parental control tool allows parents to monitor the electronic devices used by their children. From one app, a parent can control the iDevices, radios, televisions and other electronic devices in the home. There’s an anti-tampering mechanism, control when and how long a device can be used, notification system for good behavior, teaches time management and more. It’s a great way to ensure your kids don’t spend all day and night on their tablets playing games.
- A parental control tool that gives parents the power
- Control the electronics in the home
- Manage how long and when kids can use their iDevices
- Anti-tampering system, Good behavior notifications
- Teaches kids time management
This app is a kid tracker that allows parents to monitor or track where their kids are at all times. View your family members on a map, track your own phone, provides tools for kids like a panic feature, communications between kids and parents, see when kids are at school or at home and more. The GPS feature will run continuously which might drain your battery. There’s an in-app purchase for the premium version of this app.
- A popular kid tracker, Know where kids are at all times
- View family members on a map
- Communicate directly with kids
- Tools for kids like a panic feature
- In-app purchase for premium version
Protect your kids’ web browsing experience through this app. Set up custom internet filters across various iDevices and desktops via this cloud-based system. Block websites based on pre-set inappropriate categories, create custom lists of blocked sites, additional parental control features, anti-virus protection, view web activity for each users, custom filtering, YouTube filters, download files safely, customer support and more. This app has a subscription service with a monthly or yearly option.
- Protect and monitor web browsing
- Browse and set custom filters on iDevices and Computers
- Pre-set blocked categories, Custom blocked lists
- Filters for videos, Download files, Anti-virus
- In-app purchases for monthly or yearly subscription
Unplugged helps users unplug and stay off their iPhones so that they can get other things done like work, homework, chores and spending time with family or friends. It can also be used by parents to limit the amount of time their kids play on the iPhone or iPad. Set a timer and the iDevice will go into airplane mode which disconnects from the internet. There’s a push notification to alert users that they are not supposed to be using their iDevice right now. If it’s an emergency, then you can always restart the timer. It’s a handy little app that might help in your household.
- A handy little app that can help in your home
- Set a timer and limit time on iPhones
- Will switch iPhone into airplane mode
- Alert system when someone tries to use during airplane mode
- Great way to teach time management
Here’s a great app for parents who want to limit the video content on YouTube to just kid friendly videos. The app is also designed for kids to search YouTube and find entertaining videos. This content includes popular television programming for children, it’s easy to navigate, set-up a built-in timer for how long you want your kids to watch videos and more. Parental controls should be set-up upon first downloading the app. Additionally, the settings are protected so that only parents can access it.
- A kid friendly way to use YouTube
- Set-up parental controls upon first downloading
- Settings are locked and accessible only to parents
- Built-in timers for allowed session time
- Easy for kids to search for videos
Kidslox gives parents the power to control their kids’ screen time. Set daily limits for how long kids can be on their iDevices, switch between child mode and parent mode or a fully restricted lockdown mode, set timers, PIN protected so kids can’t access settings, block usage of apps, filter and restrict web browsing, block games and even use this app on computers or laptops. To access all of the features in this app, you must choose one of the subscription options.
- Take full control over your kids’ iDevices, laptops and PCs
- Child mode, Parent Mode, Lockdown Mode
- PIN protection, Block apps and games
- Set filters for web browsing, Timers
- In-app purchases for subscription options
When restricting various games or internet sites isn’t enough, then just shut the entire iDevice off with this app. First, install the control portion of this app on the parent’s iDevice. Then install the youth version of this app on the iDevices of however many kids you have. If your kid is not doing their homework, or is grounded, then just shut down their iDevice through the app. You can control each iDevice through this app. So, if one kid earns time on their iDevice, but the other one doesn’t, then you can shut one off and keep one running.
- Shut down your kid’s iDevice
- Set-up for multiple iDevices
- Control app goes on Parent’s iDevice
- Great for time management or restriction
- App temporarily disable mobile features
Have you ever wondered how much your kids use their iDevice per day or week? This app will automatically track the usage each day. It will also allow parents to see which apps are used the most, can set daily limits on screen time, view overall screen time stats for entire family, set alerts, logs how many times anyone picks up their iDevice, tracks where you go each day, breaks down the stats for each day, sound options and more. There are various in-app purchases for features, coach options and overall app usage.
- Monitor how long your family uses their iDevice each day
- See which apps are used the most
- Track and review the usage stats for each day
- Track where people go each day
- In-app purchases for features and subscriptions
Manage your child’s screen time from anywhere and at any time with OurPact. Parents can block internet access, block apps, schedule specific time periods for usage, establish screen free time throughout the day, create custom schedules, reoccurring schedules, manage all iDevices, block third party apps and more. When an iDevice is blocked, the icons on the home screen are temporarily invisible. They will come back when the blocked period is over. There is a monthly subscription option to access full features of the app.
- Monitor your kid’s iDevices and screen time
- Block internet access, Block apps
- Schedule usage time, Schedule screen free time
- Manage all iDevices through one app
- In-app purchase for monthly subscription
Phew! will ensure that parents can breathe easier knowing their kids will only be allowed to view kid friendly videos on YouTube through this app. It will eliminate the possibility of finding inappropriate content, provides kid-friendly search results, has a simple interface, keeps track of online activity and session times, prevents kids from clicking on inappropriate YouTube ads and more. It’s a great app for parents who worry about what their kids watch on YouTube.
- A kid-friendly YouTube experience
- Eliminates searching for inappropriate content
- Blocks kids from clicking on YouTube ads
- Has a simple interface for kids to use
- Keeps track of online activity and session time