What’s the best way to keep your belongings safe when you’re not home? By adding a home security tool to your house that is able to alert you and the authorities should something arise. The following list of apps is dedicated to giving users peace of mind and the ability to monitor their home when they aren’t there so they can react should something happen. Each one offers a variety of user-friendly tools so you can decide which are the ones you want and which you can do without.
The best iPad apps for home security
18 Dec 2017, by Cherry Mae Torrevillas
Just because you aren't at home doesn't mean you aren't able to make your presence known and stay in control of your home security. The Presence app provides users with a way to monitor their home using a motion detector webcam. Instead of just using your mobile device for chatting with people now it can be used for peace of mind regarding your home security. You'll get video alerts when motion is detected, and there is a two-way video call feature. It's not just while you're out and about, though; this can also be used as a baby monitor.
- Monitor your home when you’re out
- Use this app as a baby monitor when you are home
- The app acts as a motion detector webcam
- Receive video alerts when the app detects motion
- There is a two-way video call feature
- The app is simple to set-up and use so you can start monitoring right away
Alfred is an app that allows users to have their very own surveillance system whether it’s at home or work. It requires the usage of two iDevices – one to act as the camera and one to use as the monitor. Alfred also has to be installed on both apps. This app is very easy to use, supports multiple cameras, very fast connection, remotely switch between front and rear cameras, turn on and off the LED, take snapshots and much more. There is a premium monthly subscription for additional features and to remove ads.
- Use multiple iDevices as a surveillance system
- Remotely switch between front and rear cameras
- Turn on and off the LED light, Take snapshots
- Alfred has to be installed on both apps
- Premium monthly subscription for more features and to remove ads
This free and lightweight (<6 MB) app is the companion software to the YI Smart camera, which ensures that you can keep an eye on your home through your phone no matter where you are. This app will help you keep taps to ensure the security of your home using your username and password, or a QR code through which you can log into your account. The app also lets you select the video resolution of the video transmission depending on how much bandwidth and/or data you'd like it to use up. Using this single app, you can log in and view all the YI home as well as Dome Cameras.
- Supports the YI Home camera
- Real-time video of your home on your fingertips
- Log in using your QR code or Username and Password
- Choose the video resolution of the transmission
- View all the YI Home and Dome Camera feeds in one place
Whether it's your home security system or various devices around your house, this app will help you control all of them at once, turning your iPhone or iPad into a universal remote control. This app uses APIs to connect automatically to various appliances and lets users control gadgets through a highly intuitive and responsive UI. Not only can you turn things on and off, you can also fine tune settings. The app also has a voice recognition feature that allows for voice commands. Users can try out the free version on up to 2 devices and then unlock managing more than 2 options when they buy the premium version for $5.99
- Turn your home into a smart home
- Use your iPhone or iPad to control devices
- Fine tune various devices
- Free version allows control over 2 devices
- Highly responsive and intuitive UI
Use your old or new iDevices as a surveillance system at home or work through this great app. WardenCam works anywhere provided there’s an internet connection. It has motion detection, Cloud storage, scheduled motion detection, night vision mode, Ultra high definition audio and video, two-way audio and more. The app also can send notifications to your monitoring iDevice if someone comes to your home or work. Sign in with your Google account to get started. There’s an in-app purchase for the premium version.
- Use iDevices to create your own surveillance system
- Motion detection, Night vision mode, Cloud storage
- Ultra high definition audio and video
- Two-way audio, Alerts and notifications
- In-app purchase for premium version
This app is your portable command center for at-home monitoring and surveillance. It does require you to have the Xfinity surveillance and alarm services. Through this app users can arm and disarm their alarm, get real-time text alerts, remote video monitoring, control the lighting, adjust the thermostat and more. This app requires a Comcast – Xfinity account and an internet connection. This a tremendous option for users who already subscribe to any Xfinity services.
- Must have an Xfinity account
- Does require additional hardware purchases
- Remote monitoring of cameras, Motion detection
- Arm and disarm alarm, Real-time notifications
- Control lighting, Adjust the thermostat
We are all guilty of leaving lights on, leaving a sprinkler going, or a ceiling fan on when we leave the house. The Indigo Touch app is a cool offering that lets uses connect to their Indigo Smart Home Hub software and adjust a variety of items in the house. You won't have to worry about if you turned the oven off, if closed the garage door, or locked the front door because you can do it remotely through the app. The app features one-touch control for the supported appliances and items, you'll get real-time updates of the variable values, and you can use the app no matter where you are in the world even if you've left on vacation.
- Remotely control a variety of supported smart appliances in your home
- You can control these items no matter where you are in the world
- The app provides users with convenience and peace of mind
Don’t leave your computer running for all to see and use because now the Off Remote app provides you with all the control you need in a remote way. How many times have you been on your way home from work, stepped out of the office, or maybe had to call in sick only to realize you forgot to log off, put to sleep, lock, or turn off your computer? With this app you'll be able to do whatever you like with the computer no matter where you're located. There is even a timer function that will turn it off in the time you set it to. It doesn't matter how many computers there are on your network the app lets you control them all. Set-up couldn’t be easier as this app automatically takes a look at the network.
- Let the app find all the computers on your network so you can control them remotely
- Turn off, put to sleep, lock your PC or Mac no matter where you are
- The app is very easy to set-up
If you're looking into a home security system or even one to be used in your business there is a large amount of people that are looking into the Vivint Go! Control Panel. The Vivint Classic app is the mobile offering from the company that has a wide range of customers in the United States and Canada. Vivint uses smart technology in order to provide a streamlined network of smart systems in the customer's house/business. This can mean video monitoring, small appliances, lighting, HVAC, and other security systems. The idea is that you can control everything from one central location which makes things simple for customers.
- Create a streamlined smart network through your house
- The app gives users the ability to control a variety of smart systems when you’re not at home
- The company has customers in the United States and Canada
- Control such things as your home security system, small appliances, lighting, HVAC, and more all from this app