Before heading out in the sun for your outdoor activities it’s important to take the proper sun protection. These apps offer the tools of a UV monitor so that you know exactly what kind of protection is needed to ensure you enjoy the outdoors without suffering from a sunburn. These are also wonderful tools to use while vacationing so that you don’t need to spend days of your trip indoors recovering from a burn.
The best iPhone apps for UV monitoring
22 Jun 2017, by Cherry Mae Torrevillas
If you monitor UV radiation for medical or personal reasons, then this app is something you should really consider. Users will receive daily notifications of UV data for current locations and favorite cities, get the latest weather forecast, tips on house to reduce negative effects from UV rays, tips for skin cancer prevention, push notifications for UV hazard and more. It has a simple layout that makes viewing all of your information easy and quick to access.
- Monitor UV radiation for current location
- Get UV rays tips, Skin cancer prevention
- Get the latest weather forecasts
- Choose multiple cities to save
- Simple layout, Easy to use
This is a handy tool to check the UV levels from the sun. You can check the data for today or for the next three days. The app automatically displays data based on your current location. You can also view sunrise and sun set times, highest UV index for the day, receive push notifications for when the UV goes over your desired level, integrate with the Apple Health app and more. There is an in-app purchase for the widget feature. This app will work anywhere in the world.
Check UV index anywhere in the world
Data automatically displayed for current location
UV data for today or up to next 3 days
Push notifications, UV level alerts, UV index highest point
In-app purchase for widget feature
If you want to know how much UV you’re getting, SunSprite can tell you. This is a wearable light tracker and an app that will track your sunlight exposure. Invented by doctors who trained at Harvard, the app and device make it easy for you to see your daily sunlight intake with analytics and detailed graphs. You will see weekly trends and earn badges and awards when you get your daily sunshine quota. The device is solar-powered, too! The device syncs with your iPhone using Bluetooth and you can set wake and sleep times so the app can personalize your needs.
- Wearable sun tracker
- See how much sun you’re getting
- View weekly trends
- Earn badges
- Free app but requires purchase of the wearable device
iTanSmart Free is the app to use if you want to find out when to re-apply your sunscreen. The app asks you some questions about you and the sunscreen and other sun protection you use. Then you set the timer and go on about your day. You can choose any location in the world and even offers a three-day UV index forecast. Use the app when you’re at home or away on vacation; the app takes many things into account like the current UV index, the environment, time of day, your skin type, and the type of sun protection you are using to offer you the best guess on when to re-apply and when to cover up or go in.
- Get reminders for when to apply sunscreen
- Three-day UV index forecast
- Use the app anywhere
- Don’t get burned!
- Free iPhone app for UV monitoring
HappySun is a “sun consultant” that makes it safer for you to sunbathe. It figures out exactly how much exposure you can take before you start to burn, using information from weather satellites to figure out how much UV is where you are. It uses info you provide and your location to tell you how long to stay out, and what kind of sunscreen you need. Set a timer and the app will figure out how much UV your skin is taking. When it’s time to get out of the sun, the app will tell you. It currently works in Africa, Europe, and parts of Brazil.
- Makes sunbathing safer
- Uses info from weather satellites
- Asks you questions about your skin type and location
- Tells you when to come out of the sun
- Free UV monitoring app for iPhone
Why not add a quick step to your morning routine by checking the UV index for the day so you can be prepared? The UVmeter app makes that possible by giving you accurate daily readings. Of course, people are well aware of the damage that UVB/UVA rays cause to the skin, so with that said, covering up with sunscreen is certainly to your advantage. Sometimes the UV index can be deceiving too because it doesn't need to be scorching hot in order for the index to be high. This app provides you with hourly readings not just for your location but places all around the world. The app provides you with sunburn times, sunblock information, the equipment you should have on hand, and the recommended SPF protection.
- The app provides users with hourly UV index readings
- Get information regarding the SPF recommended protection
- Get info on the equipment you should have on hand
- Info on the top sunburn times
- You can check your location and any location in the world
UVmeter (UV Index) app review: always be aware of the UV reading
Now you can get wise when it comes to the sun's rays thanks to the EPA's SunWise UV Index app. This app has been developed by the United States Environmental Protection Agency so you know you're getting trusted and reliable information. The app offers daily and hourly UV information. It's also important to remember that no matter what skin type or tone you are if the UV index is high, everyone is at risk. You can search for a particular city or let the app use your GPS location. You are then given the UV index as well as information on what precautions you should take when outdoors.
- Get daily and hourly UV index readings
- Use your GPS location or search by a particular city
- Read about what precautions to take if you plan to head outdoors
- The app is reliable and accurate as well as very quick and easy to use
EPA's SunWise UV Index app review: get hourly report of expected UV intensity
Here's an all-in-one solution to your weather needs as the Fizz Weather app provides users with weather details including UV index readings. Use this app to see the current weather as well as a 15 day forecast. The app supports more than 78,000 cities around the world, making it ideal for traveling. When it comes to the forecast you'll be able to view the temperature, wind speed, humidity, barometer reading, visibility, sunrise and sunset, and the UV levels. This is also the best place to find out about severe weather warnings, watches, and alerts that may be affecting you.
- Get your current forecast
- View up to a 15-day forecast for your current location or anywhere in the world
- Get details such as the temperature, the wind speed, the humidity, and UV levels
- The app supports more than 78,000 cities around the world
- Get details on severe weather warnings, watches, and alerts in your area
There's no reason to question what the UV index is or risk getting a sunburn because all you have to do is refer to the Ultraviolet ~ UV Index app. With this app you can instantly view the current UV index reading for your exact location or you can search any other location in the world. When you launch the app it will automatically find your location or you can type in a different one. What's fun is that this app is animated so there are different ambient glows. Besides just giving the reading you can also read about advice on how to properly protect yourself.
- Let the app automatically search your location or manually enter it
- The app offers an animated screen with ambient glows to represent the UV index
- Instantly view the current UV index
- Read information about how to properly protect yourself against the conditions
Ultraviolet app review: get the current UV Index reading for anywhere in the world
Talk about multi-tasking: the Weather & clock free widget app gives you a variety of tools and functions in one convenient location. There are three different icon sets with two different sizes to choose from, you can use the clock to get the local and world time, and you'll love the Retina HD graphics. If it's the weather information you're after then you can use the follow me tool or you can search for a particular city/town. The app supports over one million locations around the globe. You can even post weather details to Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. View the current temperature and the "feels like" temperature, the UV level, the humidity, wind speed, and more.
- Find the weather for your current location or other locations around the world
- Get details such as the “feels like” temperature, humidity, UV level, wind speed, and more
- Customize the look of the clock
- Share weather details to Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook
- The app offers Retina HD graphics
Weather & clock free widget app review: personal digital weatherman
It's amazing how quickly and easily a sunburn can happen which is where the sunZapp app can come in handy. This app provides you with the information you need to properly protect your skin against the UV rays. The app takes into account your location, your skin type, your clothing, the environmental conditions, the use of shade and sunscreen, and then compares that with the hour-by-hour UV index rating from NOAA. All of this is combined to give you real-time sun protection information and then sends you alerts, tells you when to apply and reapply your sunscreen, and more.
- The app is able to use your current location to provide UV index readings
- The app takes into account your location, skin type, clothing, environmental conditions, sunscreen, and shade
- It uses up-to-date hourly information from NOAA
- The app can send you alerts and reminders so you know when to apply and reapply sunscreen