In addition to literal meaning, all prepositions have metaphorical meanings. For example, when we say the plane has taken off. The preposition off is used with the metaphorical meaning of 'departure'. Out in 'drop out of school' has the metaphorical meaning of leaving.
There are hundreds of phrasal verbs but each preposition just has a few metaphorical meanings. Therefore, familiar with the metaphorical meanings of prepositions is very important. This will make phrasal verbs logical and much easier to learn and remember.
COMPLETE FEATURE LIST
- List of prepositions and their metaphorical meanings
- List of over 500 common phrasal verbs.
- Search for a phrasal verb
- Bookmark a phrasal verb
- Meaning of a phrasal verb
- Example from various online news