College Radio, especially Student-run Radio, is the best venue to discover new music and feel the pulse of the future. Reach out with the Intercollegiate Broadcasting System's College Radio Tuner to experience live, cutting edge radio broadcasts by students from around the country and around the world.
The College Radio Tuner, developed by Backbone Networks, delivers the first true network of college radio stations to iPhone® and iPod Touch® users. Application runs on an iPhone/iPod Touch upgraded to Apple's 2.1+ firmware. Receives reliably on Wifi, 3g, and Edge.
Stations in release 1.0.2:
• AER, Arts and Entertainment Radio at Champs Charter HS, Van Nuys CA
•All Independent Radio, New England Institute of Art, Boston
•The Startup, Babson College, Wellesley, MA
•KLCR, Loras College Radio, Dubuque, IA
•WFSK, Fisk University Radio, Nashville, TN
• KCOD, Student Run Radio at the College of the Desert
•WFNM, Frankin and Marshall College, Lancaster, PA
•Central Methodist University, Fayette, Missouri
•WLIU-BK, Long Island University, Brooklyn
•WFDU, Fairleigh Dickinson University, Teaneck, NJ
•Goucher Student Radio, Goucher College, Towson, MD
•KXZY, Oklahoma State Radio, Stillwater, OK
•LeMoyne College Radio, "The Voice of the Heights" from Syracuse, NY
•Roosevelt College, Chicago Illinois
•Simmons College Radio, Boston
•MuZik, Methodist University, Fayetteville, NC
•Flatfoot Radio, Valencia Community College, Orlando, FL
•Pellissippi Radio, Pellissippi State Technical Community College, Knoxville TN
•KSLU, St. Lawrence University Radio, Canton NY
•WCCU radio, live from Coastal Carolina University, Conway, SC
•Power 88, Dean College Radio, Franklin, MA
•KCFV- St. Louis Community College at Flourissant Valley
•WIBS, a service of Intercollegiate Broadcasting System
•more to come!
It's got some awesome features:
* Simple controls, with an easy to use tuner, displays album art and URL links
* Integration with the iTunes Store®-- (via WiFi or carrier wireless) click on playing song's Buy Now link to instantly purchase and download from iTunes.
* Clickable links to the station's currently displayed button/URL, such as school home page or artist's web site
* Talk-radio dial-in phone link; automatically calls the displayed telephone number when clicked; when call is complete, returns to the radio stream
* Automatic restart if a connection is dropped
* Remembers the last station played
* Superior quality and low bandwidth of standards-based AAC audio and RTSP/RTP streaming
Stations listed in the tuner must be members of the Intercollegiate Broadcasting System. Stations can cooperatively share live streams and recorded content via central SRN Network databases, as well as access third party audio content at no cost. Hosting, network facilities and automation licenses provided by Backbone Networks Corporation. For more info, see http://www.backbone.com and http://www.ibsradio.org
About Backbone Networks
Founded in 1990, Backbone Networks Corporation has its roots in developing broadcast software, especially content production and delivery applications. Its founders are pioneers in developing technology for the broadcasting industry. They have supplied software and systems for high profile broadcasters and their events.
About The Intercollegiate Broadcasting System
The Intercollegiate Broadcasting System (IBS) is a nonprofit association of mostly student-staffed radio stations based at schools and colleges across the country. Over 1,000 IBS member stations operate all types of facilities including Internet - Webcasting, closed-circuit, AM carrier-current, cable radio, FCC-licensed FM, LPFM and AM stations. IBS has been providing continuous service for over 68 years.