Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk (unabridged) was produced by Blackstone Audio and comes with what is perhaps the best audiobook app available (see below for features list).
Tender Branson, last surviving member of the so-called Creedish Death Cult, is dictating his life story into the flight recorder of Flight 2039. The plane will shortly crash into the Australain outback. But before it does, Branson will unfold the tale of his journey from obedient Creedish child to ultra-buffed media messiah.
Self-contained, this audiobook app is perfect for your commute, on a trip, or while relaxing. Based on a library-quality recording, this app was built especially for your iPhone and iPod Touch. No unreadable text, no endless scrolling. The audio is of higher-than-normal quality, making for a great listening experience that will not tire your ears or grate on your nerves.
NOTICE: This app includes the same 5-star recording that is available through other outlets at higher prices. It is unabridged and professionally recorded at Blackstone Audio by Paul Michael Garcia, an AudioFile Earphones® Award winner. You are not buying yet another amateur or volunteer narration. No clicks, background noises, throat clearing, mispronunciations, tinny voices or monotones will be found here.
“Convoluted, maniacally comic, partaking deeply of the America that streams toward us in the dead of the night from the cable channels—that place of outrageous expectation, slavish idolatry, fanatic consumerism, and mind-stopping banality.” —Esquire
• EXPERIENCE. Created as a Folium enhancedAudio™ edition, this book includes extra functions and features not found on lesser players.
• PLAYER CONTROLS. Includes listen (play), pause, multi-speed fast forward/reverse, jump ahead/back, chapter skip, volume control, one-touch chapter- and bookmark browser. There is also a “scrub” bar that finds any point inside the chapter with just a tap.
• SLEEP TIMER. Have you ever fallen asleep watching TV or listening to a book? If so, you'll love this feature. Once set, the book will stop, place a bookmark, and allow you to jump back to where you probably began dozing.
• CLEAR & ELEGANT DESIGN. Simple, clean, intuitive, and smarter than average.
• CHAPTER TIMINGS. Always know how much time it will take to finish a chapter. Plus, the progress bar at the top of the screen shows how far into the book you’ve come.
• OFFLINE LISTENING. You are airplane-ready! Once downloaded, listen uninterrupted without threat from a lost network connection. Downloads are usually just 5-10 minutes, but depend upon your network speed.
• AUTO-BOOKMARKING. The player remembers where you stopped listening and returns to that exact spot when you open the book again.
RATING: 12+ For violent situations, occultism, and language.
If Fight Club, particularly the movie adaptation, received some criticism for its violent content and the perceived message it conveys about violence, Survivor is, if anything, more controversial in its theme and content. Survivor is the story of the last remaining member of a suicide cult. The novel begins at the end of the story with the main character dictating his biography into the black box of a hijacked airplane which is about to crash into the Australian outback. As with all of Palahniuk’s work, a simple-yet-original story is colored by a cast of imaginative characters: a disillusioned suicide cult member turned televangelist savior, a prophetess working as a surrogate mother, an overzealous case worker obsessed with cleaning, and a brilliant, amoral publicity agent are just the start.