The iDEX for iPad application is an electronic Romanian monolingual dictionary: it defines Romanian words with explanations in Romanian of what they mean and how they should be used.
Based on the database from dexonline.ro, iDEX offers access to an extensive repository of word definitions.
- over 300,000 dictionary entries from different sources
- access to all of the included dictionaries without the need for an internet connection and without resorting to the web browser
- ease of use: just enter the keyword in the search text box and press the Search button
- upload function: you can now get updated or new entries from the dexonline website directly from the app (WI-FI or 3G connection needed)
- feedback: please use the the button in the lookup options to tell us what you think of iDEX (internet connection needed)
- informative status bar: it tells you when it's looking up words and how many results it found - it also displays a symbolic summary of the look-up options you are currently using
The application also offers a comprehensive set of look-up options
- make your search accent-sensitive or accent-insensitive (no need to know the exact spelling of the word you're interested in: just enter "tara" and find "tara", "tară", "țară" and "țâră")
- simple ASCII shortcuts for Romanian diacritics (without switching to a different keyboard, type
a( → ă
a/ → â
i/ → î
t, → ț
s, → ș
- find words using simple DOS-like regular expressions with * and ?, or select from some presets
Starts With Keyword → entry*
Contains Keyword → *entry*
- order your results by entry, internal ID number, source dictionary or author (the volunteer that typed the text)
The dictionary application uses tons of information that the volunteers of the DEX online project have input. Thanks to them for their invaluable work, to Francu Cătălin for starting the project, and also to all the people that have contacted us or will contact us in the future to ask questions, give advice or suggest features.