Discover the fascinating world of the treasures beneath your feet.
Minerals and Gemstones is a reference guide to 300 different minerals and gemstones, from simple sandstones to sanidine, jade and diamond. Learn what the Earth is made of, how its rocks were formed and how minerals and gems are used today.
Divided into sections covering the internationally recognised classification groups, Minerals and Gemstones offers a comprehensive overview of the many different types of natural gems and minerals – including native elements, sulphides, oxides, nitrates and silicates.
Each gemstone or mineral is illustrated with a clear and informative colour photograph, accompanied by accessible text and its chemical composition. For easy reference, each entry includes a table of information with colour, lustre, streak, hardness, specific gravity, cleavage, habit and the crystal system of each type of mineral and gemstone. The Minerals and Gemstones app is an essential, user-friendly reference work on the diversity of the Earth’s riches.
More than 300 minerals and gemstones, from Copper, Gold and Silver to Opal, Kernite and Gismonite
• Each mineral and gem illustrated with a colour photograph
• Information tables include colour, lustre, streak, hardness, specific gravity, cleavage, habit and crystal system
• Accessible text and chemical composition for each featured stone
• Quick search functions by categories of stone
• Favourites section
• All data stored offline on your device. No Internet connection required
• Supports both iPhone and iPad
Dr DAVID COOK is a former research chemist. He has studied geology as a keen amateur and has teaching experience.
Dr WENDY KIRK is a lecturer in geology at University College London and curator of Geology Collections of thirty years’ experience.