Travel back 100 years in 15 megabytes.
Using 170 map-based vintage images of Manhattan 100 years ago, Time Shutter New York puts you in the shoes of someone walking through the greatest city on earth at the dawn of 20th century.
Time Shutter is an immersive way to experience New York just as someone 100 years ago did.
Here’s how it works:
Time Shutter New York’s geo-coded map guides you to any one of 170 locations throughout Manhattan, Brooklyn and New Jersey. You hold up your phone to the scene in front of you, and by sliding your finger across the screen, you see how that building, skyline or street looked from that exact spot 100 years ago.
Experience what New York’s storied skyline looked like when the tallest building in the world was located here... and it was just 30 stories tall! Glimpse back at nearly unrecognizable neighborhoods. Look at the oaks in Central Park when they were saplings. See what the Empire State Building looked like before the Empire State Building was built.
Time Shutter New York is an immersive sensory experience. Each image has a historical note that describes everything from the ring of trolley bells to the smell of drifting coal smoke.
The app includes:
- 170 vintage images of New York, shot between the early 1900s and mid-1920s, including almost every famous landmark from Harlem to Brooklyn.
- 170 photo captions that explain the history of each spot, and capture the sounds, smells and craziness that could only happen here in the Big Apple.
- A geo-coded map that allows you to find locations near you as you walk through the city
- An opacity slider that lets you seamlessly overlay the old image with the new one
- Facebook, Flickr and Twitter shareability
Time Shutter New York is an incredible companion for visitors, history buffs, photographers, or any New Yorker who’s ever wondered what their city used to look like.