Genetics and Evolution HD is designed specifically iPad to provide a workshop for Genetics and Evolution introductory principles and problems.
It includes the following major modules:
* Pedigree Analyzer: automatically generate pedigrees showing individuals afflicted/not afflicted with a hypothetical trait. Test yourself by selecting which inheritance pattern(s) are consistent with each pedigree, and nominating inferable genotypes for each individual within the pedigree for each consistent inheritance pattern
* Cross Simulator: simulate various types of Mendelian crosses (with up to 3 simultaneous traits, and a choice of various organisms). Results are displayed in Punnett Square format, and resulting genotypes/phenotypes and ratios are displayed.
Now includes "test yourself" detective mode, allowing you to perform trial crosses and infer genotypes from organisms collected from the wild
* Allele Freak: track and graph the fate of alleles over multiple generations based on relative fitness, genetic drift etc.
Now includes various preset modes and statistic tables
* Self Test quiz: quiz yourself on some common basic genetic terms.
* Problem Central: solves six types of basic problems commonly taught in introductory genetics courses in high schools and colleges. Helpful for any students, teachers, or practitioners in genetics! Problems solved include:
- Genetic cross mapping -- accepts genotype counts for three genes from a "test cross", and uses the counts to infer the gametic phase, the recombination rate between the three genes, and the gene order.
- Association mapping -- accepts healthy and diseased counts for marker genotypes, and predicts whether there is an associated between the marker and the disease
- Breeder's equation heritability -- with any three of the following values, calculates the fourth: starting phenotype, selected phenotype, response phenotype, broad-sense heritability.
- Hardy-Weinberg -- accepts genotype counts for a single gene and outputs observed genotype frequencies, expected genotype frequencies, and the coefficient of inbreeding (F).
- Population Growth -- with any of the following 3 values, calculates the fourth: Initial Population, Final Population, Time in years, Growth Rate (or separate birth/death rates)
- Natural Selection Single Locus -- determines the type of selection and eventual equilibrium fate of an allele based on initial allele frequency and relative fitness of each genotype
Use this app to check your answers, or better yet, to generate a nearly infinite number of practice problems! Features Dropbox integration for depositing a pdf of practice problems.
Note: the app is based on the "Genetics and Evolution" iPhone app, with the following major additional features exclusive to the HD version:
- Layout redesigned specifically for iPad
- New module "Pedigree Analyzer" introduced (generates pedigrees for user to guess inheritance pattern and individuals' genotypes)
- Cross Simulator now has a "test yourself" detective mode for users to perform trial crosses using organisms "from the wild" and inferring genotypes based on these trial crosses
- Cross Simulator now allows 3 simultaneous traits (i.e. 64 square punnet)
- Problem Central has two bonus problem types (Association Mapping and Natural Selection single locus)
- Self Test Quiz now tracks progress and gives scores
- Allele Freak now has several Preset modes allowing demonstration of different types of natural selection, and includes statistic tables. It also now has several input modes and a "multi run" feature