If you are a journalist by trade, or going to school to become one, then check out our list of the best journalist apps for the iPhone.This list comprises of many effective tools that can help you broadcast a story, find a story or write a story. Additionally, you might find that some of these iPhone journalism apps can be useful in other areas of your daily life.
The best iPhone apps for journalists
23 Jun 2017, by Cherry Mae Torrevillas
Contributor provides a platform for you to connect with news broadcasters and receive the latest info from around the world. This is a great way to find events to report on or add additional info to a story that you have already shared with your followers. Reporters can connect with others who have witnessed an event or can provide video footage of the event. The interaction is done via a Skype call and connects both parties over a shared interest. There’s an option to create a contribution that you are looking to report on or to be the contributor to a story that another journalist is looking to report on. Contributor is a unique app with a lot of potential for this particular niche.
- Connect with other reporters and contributors
- Contribute to stories by accepting a “job”
- Request others to contribute to your story
- Communications done via Skype
- Unique app with a lot of potential
Professional and amateur journalists could really benefit from an app like this. Report-IT allows you to stream live right from your iDevice. The app boasts of being simple to use and easy to configure, which is perfect for those that aren’t tech savvy. This app allows you to report live and record simultaneously. You can also insert recordings in playlists for live reports, there’s offline recording, manually or automatically transfer files, free support, high security and display your own logo. This app does require users to have a TieServer account. You can also find compatible microphones and headphones for your iDevice to make your reporting and broadcasting a more authentic experience.
- Record and report live
- Transfer files, insert recordings in playlists
- High security, Free support
- Use compatible headphones and microphone
- Must have a TieServer account
Turn your iDevice into an audio recorder with this great app. Easily share your audio files to popular cloud formats, supports popular audio files, has multiple sample rates, can merge audio files, share to social media and more. Listen to your recordings with playback functions, supports recording in the background of your iDevice, organize recordings in folders, convert files to Mp3 if needed and a lot more cool functions. This app is perfect for those of you who need to interview people or want soundbites for your reports. There’s an in-app purchase for a premium account, which removes ads and has a few extra features like real time monitor.
- Easily record on your iDevice
- Supports popular audio formats
- Quickly transfer files, store or share them
- Organize files into folders
- In-app purchase for premium version
If you are looking for a simple recording app, then look no further. This app claims to be the easiest recording app ever and has millions of users to back that claim. Just open the app, click the record button and you are on your way to making whatever recording that you desire. You can also schedule a recording time, record only when speaking, increase volume for recording, make a ring tone and easily save recordings in one of a handful of popular audio formats. You can also trim, mix, merge and encrypt files. There’s an in-app purchase to remove ads.
- The easiest recording app ever
- Record when speaking, Schedule a recording
- Save recording in a popular audio format
- Make ring tones, Edit and Encrypt files
- In-app purchase to remove ads
If you write a lot, whether it’s as a journalist or a writer, then this app is an incredible option for all of your writing needs. This unique toolset covers every phase of writing and does so in a streamline and smooth manner. There’s a simple text editor, text library, fully featured export, sync across iDevices via the cloud and more. There’s a clean interface that doesn’t distract you with easy touch gestures. A light and dark writing mode, set writing goals, split screen, text stats and more. Additionally, there’s a great amount of options for when you write and edit. Ulysses might just become your go-to writing tool, and you will never look for another writing app again.
- Powerful, Simple text editor
- Many great writing tools and features
- Comprehensive export options
- In-depth organization tools
- Sync across iDevices, Clean interface
No, this isn’t a traditional dictionary app. This one is designed to teach users all about the fundamentals of journalism. There are over 1100 major terms to learn about. It’s a great tool for professional journalists looking to brush up on topics and for the student that’s still aspiring to become a journalist. Additionally, the app has a quiz feature, auto-play so you can listen to the terms, staples that allow you to save the terms of your desire, and a storyboard function. There’s an in-app purchase to unlock the premium version of this app. Try it out today, and learn all about journalism.
- A great tool to learn about journalism
- Quiz feature that allows you to test yourself
- Auto-play and listen to the terms
- Save your favorite terms
- In-app purchase for premium version
Forget the pen and paper, this app allows you to jot down notes an ideas in a digital manner. This smooth flowing app is a great way to quickly capture your ideas so that you don’t forget them. Then enhance and edit those ideas with more text, photos and backgrounds. Easily create documents and share them with others. You can create digital notebooks with an unlimited amount of pages. The free version of this app allows you to try out some of the basic tools to see if you like this app. The premium version has all of the great tools that make this app a winner.
- Quickly jot down ideas and notes
- A wide range of enhancements and writing tools
- Easily share files with others
- Create virtual notebooks with unlimited pages
- Free to try, Premium version for all of the features
If you are looking to eliminate notepads and pens from your daily journalistic ventures, then here’s an app that will certainly help you in a big way. Create notes in a quick manner, save them, organize them and easily search them for future reference. Turn your notes into PDF documents that you can annotate or have signed, supports Word documents and PowerPoint, large collection of covers and paper templates, user your fingers or a stylus to write, quickly take notes and edit later, backup data automatically to cloud services.
- An app that replaces notebooks and pens
- Create PDF files, Supports Word and PowerPoint
- Write with fingers or stylus, Automatically backup data
- Search through notes, Edit past notes
- Large collection of paper templates and covers
Whether you are a journalist by trade, or for fun, here’s an app that will help you to create and share news stories with various news outlets from around the world. The best part, you can do all of this from your iPhone. Shoot videos, get interviews, document scenes or accidents, report local stories and more. You can charge for your stories or do them for free. This app offers a rewards program for those who create and share stories. It’s the next phase in news blogging and can be done by anyone who truly loves creating and reporting news.
- Great app for journalists by trade or hobby
- Create and share news stories around the world
- Shoot videos, Record interviews, Write news articles
- Charge for your stories or do them for free
- Rewards program for users who share content
If you are a journalist, writer or blogger then you know that it’s easier to get more work done when you have more screens to look at. With this app, you can convert your iDevice into a second PC or Mac screen and get even more work done. This app will detect the iDevice, you can use the touch screen features to full capabilities, great for Apple Pencil to draw or write, precise control for various programs and more. Get research done faster, write stories faster and make more use of your time with this highly touted app. There are in-app purchases for additional features.
- Create a second screen for your PC and Mac
- Automatically detect your iDevice through app
- Great for touch screen apps and software
- Increase workload, efficiency and time management
- In-app purchases for additional features