If you use your iPad for work or school, you probably have it with you pretty much all the time. They have proven indispensable and can even help reduce the amount of work of a virtual assistant if you have the right apps, from note-taking to mobile office suites, timers, calendars, and to-do lists. If you’re always on the lookout to make your life easier, then have a look at our favorite productivity apps for iPad.
The best productivity apps for iPad
17 Apr 2017, by Cherry Mae Torrevillas
Recorder is an audio and voice memo recording app that makes it easy to take down audio notes and memos on the go. After you make your recordings you can share via the cloud. Record lectures, business meetings, and to-do lists for yourself in different formats like MP3, CAF, MP4, AAC, M4A, and WAV. The interface is straightforward and easy to use, you can record and playback in the background, and you can pause and resume recordings. Playback features include fast forwards, fast backward, and player speed adjust so you can find the perfect playback speed. The length of recordings you can take depends on the storage availability of your device, but if you have the space, you can record for hours.
- Several supported cloud drives
- Record in one of several formats
- Adjustable play controls
- File management options
- Free with in-app purchases
Sometimes, you don’t realize how much you need an app until you have a need for the app. Print Reliably fits that billing. Have you ever tried to print a document or text from your iPad only to run into problems trying to connect to a printer? Perhaps, you couldn’t even find a compatible printer on the nearest network? Print Reliably solves issues by allowing you to connect to any printer, anywhere near your location. Additionally, you can print all sorts of text documents, web sites and photos. Although, there is an in-app purchase to remove watermark for photos. This app gives you complete control of printing documents, has a set up guide to help you connect to a printer and so much more.
- A reliable and extremely effective print app
- Great for all of your personal or professional printing needs
- Numerous print features and settings, Print all kinds of files
- Connect to any printer wherever you are
- A set-up guide to help you to connect to any printer
TOPDOX is a documents platform app you can use for Google Docs, Microsoft Office, and OpenOffice. You’ll be abel to read, scan, edit, print, and export to PDF. The app also works with Google Drive, OneDrive, Box, and Dropbox. You’ll be able to quickly access your favorite files, protect your files with a passcode or use Touch ID, and enable viewing of files or folders offline. You can scan paper documents and export to PDF and then write notes, highlight, annotate, and sign them. Sync, organize, and share with others. Use the app to create and edit your documents, even when you’re offline.
- Convert anything to PDF
- Create and edit several types of documents
- Annotate your PDFs
- Manage and organize
- Free with in-app subscription
CamScanner Free is a PDF document scanner app that allows you to scan documents into clear PDFs that you can then email, print, fax, or save to the cloud. Use your iPad to scan receipts, invoices, notes, whiteboards, certificates, and business cards. Features include a mobile scanner, smart cropping, auto-enhancing, the ability to extract text from images, AirPrint support, the option to fax from within the app (paid feature), and the option to invite friends or colleagues to view and comment on your scans. You can use advanced editing options, secure important documents with a passcode, and sync across platforms. If you purchase a subscription you get even more features.
- Set passcode for viewing important documents
- Extract text from images
- Scan documents into a clear and sharp PDF
- Email, fax, print, or save
- Free with in-app purchases
Connect is a contact management app you can use to organize your business and personal contacts and keep them orderly. You can organize your contacts into custom groups so they become even faster and easier to contact. You can send group emails and SMS messages to one, some, or all of the members of a group. Add new contacts in seconds, create new lists as you go, and share your contacts by SMS. The multi-criteria search allows you to search for contacts and lists based on several criteria so you find what you need, quickly.
- Organize your contacts
- Create custom groups
- Email or SMS one, several, or all of a group
- Swipe a contact to send a message, email, add in group, share, and edit
- Free productivity app for iPad
Office Lens takes your photos of whiteboards and documents and trims, enhances, and basically makes them more readable. Then it converts the images into editable Word and PowerPoint files. The app is like having a scanner, but better. It digitizes notes, business cards, whiteboard notes, and scribbled memos. Draw or sketch some ideas and take a photo so you can refer to it later. Use the app to digitize meeting notes and then keep all your notes together in one place. Printed and handwritten text is automatically recognized, so you can search for words in images, copy, and edit them. Some of the features include Whiteboard mode that cleans up shadows and glare, Document mode that colors and trims images perfectly, and Business Card mode that can pull contact info and save it to your address book.
- Convert images to PowerPoint, Word, or PDF files
- Save to cloud storage
- Whiteboard, Document, Business Card modes
- Trims and enhances photos of documents and whiteboards and converts into readable files
- Free productivity app for iPad
Tiny Fax will, you guessed it, turn your iPad into a little fax machine that you can use for text documents, photos, and receipts. The user interface is sleek and simple, and easy to use. You can fax documents from apps like Mail, Google Drive, Dropbox, Camera Roll, Camera, and more. You can send a professional cover page for free, and archive documents by their status. Each fax page costs between $0.25 and $0.60 depending on how many of the credits you buy at once. Faxes to Canada and within the U.S. are 10 credits per page while others are 15 credits per page.
- Simple to use
- Fax from mail and other apps
- Fax from Dropbox and other cloud storage sites
- Price of each fax page depends on how many credits you buy at once
- The app is free; you must buy credits via in-app purchase
Wunderlist is a task manager and to-do list app that will help you get stuff done. It’s easy to take down, share, and finish off your to-dos when you’ve got this app to use. It syncs among your devices and computer so you always have access to your tasks, and you can share and collaborate on your to-dos with friends, family members, and colleagues. The Today widget allows you to swipe down from any app so you can quickly look at your due to-dos for the day, and it’s easy to save articles and web pages to read later using the Add to Wunderlist sharing extension.
- Add, schedule, and organize your to-dos from your iPad, iPhone, or computer
- Use notes, subtasks, comments, and files
- Set due dates and reminders
- Swipe down in any app to see the Today widget
- Free with in-app subscription for Pro version
Spark is an email client app that will help you clear out your inbox faster than you thought possible. Even if you have hundreds of messages, it will only take a few minutes. The app is fast, smart, and powerful, and you’ll be amazed at how it works. It automatically figures out if the email is personal, a newsletter or notification, and will group it with similar emails so it’s fast and easy for you to process entire batches with a swipe. Take a quick look, see if emails are important or junk, and deal with them appropriately. You can also reply with a single tap. Really, this app has so many features, you need to check it out for yourself.
- Unified inbox
- Smart search feature
- Save emails as PDFs
- Integrates with services you use
- Free productivity app for iPad
If you need to prepare slide presentations, and you’re used to using PowerPoint, then you need the Microsoft PowerPoint app. It was specifically designed for iOS and looks great on your iPad. You get to set up your presentations and they will appear exactly the same across PC, Mac, an other devices. The free version gets you the basic experience with viewing, creating, and editing options for iPad and iPad mini. The full version is available with a qualifying Office 365 subscription. If you have an iPad Pro you will need Office 365 to create and edit presentations.
- View, create, and edit for free on iPad and iPad mini; iPad Pro requires Office 365 subscription
- The real PowerPoint app designed specifically for iOS
- Draw and highlight while you present from your device
- Update presentations on the go
- Free with Office 365 subscription required for access to all features
GoToMeeting allows you to host or join in on GoToMeeting sessions using your iPad. You won’t have to be in the same room to have a meeting with friends, family, or co-workers. You can join, host, or schedule meetings using your device, and up to five other shared webcams can join in. You can view the presenter’s screen, present your documents from the cloud, use the on-screen highlighter and whiteboard to brainstorm together, and see your meeting schedule and join in with just one tap. Attending GoToMeeting sessions is free; to host meetings you must have a GoToMeeting account.
- Invite other attendees using a variety of methods
- Use Internet audio or dial in to call
- Schedule meetings quickly and easily
- Start or join in on a meeting with a tap
- Free app; to host meetings you must have an account