The iPhone is, without doubt, the best device for listening to music. If you like to listen to music on your iPhone (and who doesn't?) it's probably because of its connectivity to the Internet, which allows you to have access to more music, socially share your favorite songs, and discover new music you wouldn't ordinarily even know about without it. Here is our list of the best music listening apps for the iPhone.
The best iPhone apps for listening to music
15 Dec 2016, by Cherry Mae Torrevillas
Of course Spotify is on this list. It's arguably one of the very best apps to use to listen to on your iDevice. It allows you to search out any artist, album, or track, and listen for free. You can create collections or playlists, and share them with other users. You can listen for free with ads, or upgrade to Premium. Premium features include the ability to listen to unlimited music with no ads, better sound quality, the ability to listen offline, and you can play any song at any time on any device.
- Search any track, artist, or album
- Listen for free with ads
- Get personal recommendations
- Listen to others' playlists or make your own
- Upgrade to Premium with in-app purchase
With over 135 million tracks, SoundCloud is the largest audio and music streaming platform in the world. Through this app, you can discover new and trending music that you might not find anywhere else. Listen to favorite tracks, connect with others, follow your favorite artists, personalize your listening experience, create playlists for whatever purpose, play or pause songs from lock screen, registration options, listen offline and more. You get the first 30 days for free, but then users will be required to purchase a monthly subscription.
- The largest music and audio streaming platform in the world
- Discover new and trending music, Connect with others
- Listen to favorite music, Follow favorite artists
- Listen offline, Registration options, Use in lock screen
- First 30 days free, Then need a monthly subscription
Deezer will personalizer your music experience and make it so you can listen to your favorite songs, artists or genres whenever you want. Deezer’s Flow feature learns your preferences and then will begin to play the stuff you like. Other cool features in this app are Channels that stream live music or podcasts and the ability to read the lyrics of songs that you are listening to or search for. The app is free for 30 days, but then requires a monthly subscription to access the full features of this app.
- Personalizes your music experience
- Flow learns your musical preferences
- Channels offer live radio stations, podcasts and more
- Get lyrics to the songs you like or are listening to
- Free to download, Free 30 day trial, Premium Subscription for unlimited access
My Mixtapez harkens back to the past when cassette tapes were the way to listen to your favorite songs or to express your feelings to another person. This app is similar in a sense, but also has many additional features for your music listening pleasures. Download or stream unlimited mixtapes, share your music with friends via social media, stream selected videos and discover the latest mixtapes. The audio quality is great and a premium version removes ads, has fewer interruptions and unlimited downloads.
- A throwback to the days of mixtapes
- Download or stream mixtapes
- Share music with others, Discover new mixtapes
- High audio quality, Options for removing ads and unlimited downloads
- In-app purchase for premium monthly subscription
Listen uses gestures instead of buttons to operate. This means when you're doing something that requires your attention, but you want to change the song or volume level, you can, without looking. It works with Apple Music so you can listen to music anywhere and anytime, without getting too busy with the interface. It's easy to use: swipe left or right to change tracks, swipe up to add a song to your Favorites Playlist, and tap to play or pause. You can stream using AirPlay and if you want to share a song, you can, using Facebook, Twitter, email, or other apps.
- Uses gestures not buttons
- Works with Apple Music
- Easy to use
- Stream using AirPlay
- Free iPhone app for listening to music
Simple Radio lets you listen to music for free on your iPhone, iPad, or Apple Watch. You can listen to more than 30,000 radio stations from all over the world, save your favorite stations, discover new music, practice a foreign language, and more. If you're away, you can listen to stations from home to stay in touch with what's going on there. You have several options for content: breaking news, trending, talk radio, and sports in addition to specific genres. The app is free to download and you can unlock everything with an in-app purchase.
- Listen to the radio for free
- More than 30,000 radio stations
- Different kinds of content
- Dance, hip hop, rock, oldies, and more
- Free with in-app purchase to upgrade
TuneMob plays music in perfect sync on between two and five iPhones, iPads, or iPods. This is great for when you want to play music loudly or spread over a large area but don't have wireless speakers. You're pretty much guaranteed that at least one more person will have an iPhone, so have everyone turn on their WiFi and get playing! It's compatible with iPhone 4S through 6S+ with iOS 6 through iOS 9 but can't be relied on for stability in older devices. There isn't any setup involved because the app works “automagically!”
- Play music in perfect sync on two to five iPhones
- Requires WiFi
- Compatible with wide range of iPhones
- No setup required
- Free app for listening to music
Free Tunes - Free Music for You lets you search out and listen to unlimited free music on your device. You can listen to DJ sets, remixes, live concerts, and more! The app offers background music playback, the ability to create and manage playlists, single-tap music streaming, and lock screen playback controls. You can sort by type, name, date, or size, and search for cover, artist, song, remix, or DJ. The app is ad-supported but you can make an in-app purchase to remove them if you are bothered.
- Create playlists
- Background play
- Numerous sorting and searching options
- Unlimited free music
MixOnMyRadioLite lets you make your own radio station using music from your Spotify or iTunes collection and favorite podcasts. You'll have access to your radio station whenever and wherever. You can choose a total of two podcasts from more than 50 podcast programs and you can also decide when to mix podcasts with your music. If you don't have any music, just set it to “Nothing But Podcasts” and create your own talk radio station. Some of the podcast categories you can listen to include music, science, health, technology, comedy, and sports. There are seven radio buttons for programming your favorite artists, albums, and playlists.
- Make your own radio station
- Use a mix of music and podcasts
- Use two podcast programs
- Many podcast categories to choose from
- Free with in-app purchases
AudioViz scans your device's library of songs and shows you the corresponding YouTube video. You can also add other music videos from YouTube to your playlist so you essentially have unlimited access to free music videos. You can create custom playlists, store and share your playlists to Twitter and Facebook and allow other AudioViz users play them. Having a party? Mirror your music videos to your TV using Chromecast and Apple TV. Want to do something else while you listen? This app supports background play. The app is free with in-app purchases to upgrade.
- Scans your music library and creates a playlist of YouTube videos
- Add YouTube videos manually
- Share your playlists
- Mirror to your TV